Azerbaijan is probably not the most popular travel destination in Asia or Europe, depending on your definition of those two continents, but it still has a lot to offer.
Especially when it is a relatively affordable country for travel.
One way to keep your costs low is by using a travel eSIM because international roaming can be crazy expensive.
Which is why using local and travel eSIMs is recommended to save money.
And if you get a travel eSIM, you do not have to deal with the SIM card registration bureaucracy and skip the queues in Azerbaijan.
So, how much do Azerbaijani (travel) eSIMs cost?
You can get an eSIM for Azerbaijan for as low as 7 USD up to 44 USD from Airalo (with Yexsi Mobile) & Holafly, offering between 1 GB and 6 GB.
There are some mobile operators who will charge you 100 USD for only 100 MB of roaming data, so these travel eSIM offers are much better than most international roaming deals.
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by the Azerbaijani mobile operators, Airalo & Holafly. Let's get started.
Original publication: 31st of August 2022. Last updated: 29th of November 2022.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Travel eSIMs for Azerbaijan
In order to get the best performance out there, it is often recommended to go directly with the local mobile operators because you will get a higher priority on the network compared to roaming.
And some travelers do not want to deal with any of that for privacy reasons.
Luckily, there is a way to avoid this registration scheme: by roaming (super expensive) or using a travel eSIM (affordable AND can be cheaper than local SIM cards in many countries).
Travel eSIM providers Airalo (with Yaxsi Mobile) & Holafly offer attractive eSIMs for Azerbaijan, allowing them to be set up before arriving in Azerbaijan and activating them as soon as you land.
Very convenient, right? And I have used eSIMs from Airalo & Holafly before, and I can assure you they work well!
So let's check out all the options, shall we?
Airalo eSIMs for Azerbaijan (Yaxsi Mobile)
Airalo eSIMs are my favorite travel eSIMs out there because they are always good value for money compared to other travel eSIM providers (especially travel eSIMs not mentioned in this guide).
And the same can be said for the Yaxsi Mobile eSIM – 5 GB of data is available for only 21 USD.
The Yaxsi Mobile eSIM uses the Bakcell network, which is the fastest overall Azerbaijan mobile operator (speed-wise).
So even if you go to some remote Azerbaijani town, you will still have reception with the Yaxsi Mobile eSIM.
Alright, you have three Azerbaijani Yaxsi Mobile eSIM options:
- Azerbaijan/Yaxsi Mobile 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 7 USD
- Azerbaijan/Yaxsi Mobile 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 14 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Azerbaijan/Yaxsi Mobile 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 21 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
When I say that the 3 GB & 5 GB variants are loved by Phone Travel Wiz readers, all readers get either the 3 GB or 5 GB variants.
So yeah, they are really popular.
The Airalo links will automatically get you the available Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers – a code is unnecessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Honestly, the Yaxsi Mobile eSIM gives you the best bang for your buck, and it is the eSIM I recommend the most for Azerbaijan.
Airalo Yaxsi Mobile eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Yaxsi Mobile eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Yaxsi Mobile eSIM before arriving in Azerbaijan (and activate it upon landing)
- You can skip Azerbaijan's SIM card registration requirements
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Azerbaijan's fast mobile operator – Bakcell
- The eSIMs are affordable and have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Airalo though – there are some disadvantages.
Airalo Yaxsi Mobile eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get the Yaxsi Mobile eSIM?
- The Azerbaijani mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to Bakcell's network, the fastest in Azerbaijan, your speeds will not be as fast as going with Bakcell itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Yaxsi Mobile eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Yaxsi Mobile eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Airalo gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit an Airalo store because there are none)
Airalo Yaxsi Mobile eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Airalo Yaxsi Mobile eSIM is a great eSIM offering a lot for the money you pay (especially compared to many non-EU countries).
You get fast speeds and access to the fastest Azerbaijani network (Bakcell) without standing in queues or dealing with SIM card registration bureaucracy.
But if making actual phone calls and sending real text messages are important to you (so not through an app like WhatsApp), you may want to buy an Azerbaijani SIM card instead.
Holafly eSIMs for Azerbaijan
The second eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Azerbaijan… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only one Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM (which uses the Bakcell network (as well) – the mobile operator with the fastest speeds, by the way):
- Azerbaijan 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP/67 AUD/59 CAD
Not much choice, as you can see.
As I recently started my collaboration with Holafly, it offers 5% off each purchase whenever you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – how cool is that?
- Check out my Holafly reviews
Of course, there are some pros and cons with going with Holafly, so let's go over them.
Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Azerbaijan eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Bakcell's network – the fastest in Azerbaijan
- You can activate your Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM as soon as you land in Azerbaijan
- The Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM offers the most data
But it is not all good news with Holafly though – there are some disadvantages.
Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Azerbaijani mobile operators, including Bakcell, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to Bakcell's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Bakcell directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM (yet)
Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Azerbaijan.
But it still is not cheap.
Best eSIMs for in Europe (not just Azerbaijan)
So what if you plan to visit neighboring Armenia? Georgia? Iran? Or any other country in the European Union?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Yaxsi Mobile or Holafly Azerbaijan eSIMs in any country than Azerbaijan.
There are some eSIMs out there covering all of the European Union and European Economic area + some other countries.
Sadly, Azerbaijan is not one of them, but I still want to introduce them to you because they will be much cheaper than buying multiple eSIMs, or SIM cards for that matter, per country.
I highly recommend these Europe eSIMs if you plan to visit multiple European countries to save money!
The Eurolink eSIM is the most popular Airalo eSIM, per Phone Travel Wiz readers.
Most readers tend to visit multiple European countries, so they would rather have a travel eSIM covering multiple countries than just one (like Azerbaijan).
The Eurolink eSIM can be used in 39 countries in Europe, including all nations in the European Union (EU).
The eSIM can be used from Iceland to Ukraine and Norway to Spain.
Below is a complete overview of countries the Eurolink eSIM works in:
- Austria 2
- Belgium 2
- Bulgaria 2
- Croatia 2
- Cyprus 2
- Denmark 2
- Estonia 2
- Finland 2
- Gibraltar 1
- Greece 2
- Ireland 2
- Italy 2
- Latvia 2
- Luxembourg 2
- Malta 2
- Poland 2
- Romania 2
- Spain 2
- Sweden 2
- Switzerland 2
- United Kingdom 2
1 on 3G only
2 (limited) 5G NR availability at no additional cost!
With the Eurolink eSIM, you can save a lot of money by skipping the initial SIM card costs per country you visit – averaging 10.78 USD/country in Europe (and get 5G NR access at no additional cost)!
But, as you can see, this eSIM cannot be used in Azerbaijan, so it would be useless here but useful in the aforementioned countries.
Either way, it can be useful if you plan on visiting most other European countries.
Below is an overview of how much each Eurolink eSIM costs:
- Europe/Eurolink 1 GB eSIM for 7 day, costing 5 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 20 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 37 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 50 GB eSIM for 90 days, costing 100 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 100 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 185 USD
Honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is my favorite Europe travel eSIM out there. Affordable, extensive & good value for your money.
I also used it during my 1-month tour throughout Europe in 12 countries.
- Check out my Airalo Eurolink eSIM review (tested in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Hungary, Greece, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia & Spain)
So yeah, you can say I have some experience with the Eurolink eSIM 😏.
Holafly & Nomad eSIMs for Europe
Holafly and Nomad also have eSIMs covering all of the European Union (and more).
This eSIM cannot be also used in Azerbaijan but once again, it would be useful for the aforementioned countries listed above.
But honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is superior (but you can consider the Holafly Europe eSIM if you want unlimited data in 30+ countries – just do not forget about code PHONETRAVELWIZ if you go with Holafly).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Azerbaijan
But you still have to deal with SIM card registration regulations when you get their eSIMs.
Luckily, the travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide allow you to circumvent these laws (legally, of course!).
In terms of the travel eSIMs, this would be my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Yaxsi Mobile Azerbaijan eSIM (best value for money)
- Airalo's Eurolink Europe eSIM (best value for money when also visiting other European countries)
- Holafly Azerbaijan eSIM (generous data plans at premium prices)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Azerbaijan
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting an Azerbaijani SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!