Ecuador – the orchid capital of the world. It is also one of the oldest civilizations in South America.
It has plenty of ancient pyramids, the Gálapagos Islands, and snow-capped tips on top of the Andres Mountains.
In the East of the country, you have dense rainforests with barely any roads going through them.
But, what can you do in Ecuador?
You can look at the tortoises and iguanas on the Gálapagos Islands.
Perhaps you fancy seeing colonial churches in Cuenca.
Or enjoy crystal-clear waters at beaches on the East Coast.
Overall, there is plenty to see and do in Ecuador.
But before you share your colorful Ecuador experiences online, be aware that international roaming can be expensive.
Travel eSIMs can be a much more affordable way to stay connected, even in Ecuador.
How much will a travel eSIM for Ecuador cost?
You can get a travel eSIM for Ecuador for as little as 8 USD, with 1 GB for 7 days, up to 54 USD, for 5 GB, from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad.
While this may sound a bit pricey but international roaming will be even more expensive.
So yeah, these travel eSIMs can be worth it.
In this guide, I will go over the travel eSIM options offered by Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's go.
Original publication: 29th of August 2022. Last updated: 29th of November 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Ecuadorian Mobile Operators
Suppose you want to get the best service and reception available in Ecuador.
In that case, it is better to get a SIM card or travel eSIM from the local mobile operators, which in this case would be the Ecuadorian ones.
Not only will you not have to deal with latency, but you also get a higher priority on the network because you are a direct customer of the mobile operator instead of a roamer.
And with most travel eSIMs, you are roaming on the network(s) of the local mobile operator(s).
But that is not always the case – the slow speeds part, that is.
Some mobile operators throttle the speeds of prepaid customers because they want more people to get a postpaid plan.
Unfortunately, travelers cannot get postpaid plans – so one way to avoid throttling is by using a travel eSIM.
Yes – travel eSIMs sometimes have faster speeds than native prepaid customers because of throttling.
So, which Ecuadorian mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers?
Unfortunately, none of the local mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers.
But you have three other options for getting an eSIM for your trip to Ecuador: Airalo (Bacanet eSIM), Holafly & Nomad.
One of the main advantages of getting a travel eSIM for Ecuador is that (1) you do not have to try to speak (broken) Spanish to get a local eSIM, (2) you can set up the eSIM before arriving in Ecuador and activate it upon landing & (3) you do not have to deal with Ecuador's SIM card registration laws.
I have to mention that travel eSIMs will be more expensive than local eSIMs and SIM cards, but they are more convenient.
Moreover, I have plenty of experience with the eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad, so I can vouch for them – so can many Phone Travel Wiz readers!
So let's go over what the travel eSIMs offer for Ecuador!
Airalo eSIMs for Ecuador (Bacanet)
If you have read any of my eSIM or SIM card buying guides before, then you know I am a big fan of Airalo.
Not only does Airalo have eSIMs for most countries (around 190 countries) of any eSIM platform, but they are also often one of the cheapest while offering fantastic service in terms of speeds and reception.
That is because Airalo usually partners up with the mobile operator with the best coverage, the fastest speeds, both, or even multiple operators.
That way, you get the best bang for your buck, I have to say.
In the case of Ecuador, Bacanet uses the Movistar Ecuador network.
So, which Ecuador Bacanet eSIMs are available? You have these four options:
- Ecuador/Bacanet 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 8 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Ecuador/Bacanet 2 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 15 USD
- Ecuador/Bacanet 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 21 USD
- Ecuador/Bacanet 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 32.50 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
The Airalo links will automatically get you the available Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers – a code is unnecessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Airalo Bacanet eSIM Pros
Are there any (more) reasons why you should get the Bacanet eSIM? Yes, there are:
- You can activate your Bacanet eSIM as soon as you land in Ecuador
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Movistar Ecuador's network
- Bacanet eSIMs are affordable (especially compared to roaming)
- SIM card registration is not a thing you have to worry about with the Bacanet eSIM, saving you time
- Multiple top-ups can be purchased when you are out of data or when your initial plan expires easily on the Airalo site or apps
I could list many more pros, but these are the major ones.
Unfortunately, there are some cons to be aware of.
Airalo Bacanet eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Bacanet eSIM?
- The Ecuadorian mobile operators, including Movistar Ecuador itself, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to Movistar Ecuador's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Movistar Ecuador itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Bacanet eSIM (yet)
- You cannot call or text with the Bacanet eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Airalo Bacanet eSIM Overall Thoughts
The Bacanet eSIM is a convenient eSIM that can be purchased before going to Ecuador and can be activated upon arriving.
You get access to one of Ecuador's best networks with the Bacanet eSIM.
Remember, you cannot call or text with the Bacanet eSIM, as it is a data-only eSIM.
Nomad eSIMs for Ecuador
Nomad is one of the eSIM players on the market that managed to grow quickly.
That is because it is one of the few premium eSIM players out there, often using multiple partners to bring you the best coverage and speeds out there.
As a result, Nomad is often (slightly) more expensive than Airalo.
But good people run the company.
For example, upon my recommendation, it started offering the Nordics regional eSIM – an eSIM that can be used in Denmark, Finland, Sweden & Norway.
And many more regional eSIMs are coming – I can promise you that!
Anyway, what did I mean with “often using multiple partners to bring you the best coverage and speeds out there” earlier?
In Ecuador, Nomad uses the Truphone network, which uses a combination of local networks (Claro Ecuador, Movistar Ecuador & CNT Móvil), allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always have a connection (unless you are in the middle of a jungle, of course 🤪).
You have the following three options with Nomad for Ecuador:
- Ecuador 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/20 EUR/17 GBP/26 CAD
- Ecuador 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 48 USD/47.50 EUR/40 GBP/62 CAD
- Ecuador 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/53.50 EUR/45 GBP/69.50 CAD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
Now, these prices are significantly higher when looking at the Airalo Ecuador Bacanet eSIM, especially the 1 GB variant.
And I can tell you that Phone Travel Wiz readers do not get the 1 GB or 3 GB variants at all – they too costly.
However, the readers who get the Nomad Ecuador eSIM go for the 5 GB variant.
Mostly because the Airalo Ecuador Bacanet eSIM has only the 1 GB version, which requires multiple top-ups if you want more data and has a 7-day validity.
And, unlike the Bacanet eSIM, the Nomad Ecuador uses multiple networks instead of just one (Movistar Ecuador), giving you much better coverage and faster speeds.
So that is why many Phone Travel Wiz readers do not mind spending 6 USD more for the Nomad Ecuador eSIM than the Bacanet eSIM (9.50 USD) with four top-ups to get 5 GB of data (4 * 9.50 USD).
Wait… only 6 USD more? Is 54 USD – 45 USD not 9 USD?
That is correct (and you are paying attention!), but you can get 3 USD/2.85 EUR/2.45 GBP/4.10 CAD off your first Nomad purchase when using code ADU123!
I am looking out for you there 😏.
And, of course, just like the Airalo Ecuador Bacanet eSIM, you can also top up your Nomad Ecuador eSIM on the Nomad site or apps.
- Check out my Nomad reviews
Nomad Ecuador eSIM Pros
Are there any (more) reasons why you should get the Nomad Ecuador? Yes:
- SIM card registration and bureaucracy? Skip that with the Nomad Ecuador eSIM, saving you time
- You can activate your Nomad Ecuador eSIM as soon as you land in Ecuador
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to multiple Ecuadorian networks, allowing you to always have the best coverage and speeds
- Nomad Ecuador eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- Nomad offers the most options (three) and longest validity (30 days) of any travel eSIM in this guide
- Multiple top-ups can be purchased when you are out of data or when your initial plan expires easily on the Nomad site or apps
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Ecuador eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Nomad Ecuador eSIM?
- Ecuador mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to multiple Ecuadorian networks, your speeds may not be as fast as going with the mobile operators directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- Nomad has the most expensive plans for Ecuador in this guide
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Ecuador eSIM (yet)
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Ecuador eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Nomad Ecuador eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad Ecuador eSIM is an excellent premium eSIM offering the most options and longest validity in this guide.
And because the Nomad Ecuador eSIM uses multiple networks, you will always have the best reception when traveling around Ecuador.
The main con is that Nomad has the most expensive options in this guide.
And you cannot make calls and send SMS with the Nomad Ecuador eSIM because it is a data-only eSIM.
If 1 GB for 7 days is not enough and you do not want to pay 54 USD for 5 GB of data, then you have one more option…
Holafly eSIMs for Ecuador
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Ecuador… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only one Holafly Ecuador eSIM (which uses the Movistar Ecuador network – the mobile operator with the best network and fastest speeds, by the way):
- Ecuador 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP/67 AUD/59 CAD
Not much choice, as you can see.
But the Holafly Ecuador eSIM gives you the most data of any travel eSIM mentioned in this guide (Airalo: 1 GB & Nomad: 1 GB/3 GB/5 GB) AND is cheaper than the others when looking at the 5 GB and 6 GB segment (Airalo: 6 * 9.50 USD (1 GB) = 57 USD & Nomad: 1 * 54 USD (5 GB) + 1 * 20 USD (1 GB) = 74 USD).
Even better, you can get 5% off each and any Holafly purchase (so it does not have to be the Ecuador eSIM) when you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – fantastic, right?
- Check out my Holafly reviews
Holafly Ecuador eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly Ecuador eSIM? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Ecuador eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Movistar Ecuador's network – the best in Ecuador
- Unlike going with Movistar Ecuador directly, you do not have to worry about SIM card registration because it is unnecessary
- You can activate your Holafly Ecuador eSIM as soon as you land in Ecuador
- The Holafly Ecuador eSIM offers the most data
Holafly Ecuador eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Holafly Ecuador eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Ecuador eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Ecuadorian mobile operators, including Movistar Ecuador, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to Movistar Ecuador's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Movistar Ecuador directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Ecuador eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Ecuador eSIM (yet)
Holafly Ecuador eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Ecuador eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Ecuador eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Ecuador.
But it still is not cheap.
Best eSIMs for in Central- and South America (not just Ecuador)
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Bacanet, Holafly Ecuador, or Nomad Ecuador eSIMs in any country than Ecuador.
However, Holafly has an eSIM covering the popular travel destinations in Central- and South America, including Ecuador.
I highly recommend going with the Holafly South America eSIM, which also covers parts of Central America, if you plan on visiting multiple countries in the Americas, as you will save a lot of money when you do so.
Holafly Central- and South America eSIM
While Holafly officially calls this eSIM the South America eSIM, it can also be used in a few countries in Central America.
And as many Phone Travel Wiz readers who visit Ecuador also visit neighboring countries, it will be better to get the Holafly South America eSIM for your travels.
The Holafly South America eSIM can be used in the following 13 countries:
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
You only have one option for the Holafly South America eSIM: 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP.
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Ecuador (Airalo vs. Holafly vs. Nomad)
In this guide, I went over various eSIMs Ecuador.
Below is an overview of my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Ecuador Bacanet eSIM (cheapest)
- Holafly Ecuador eSIM (most generous data plan)
- Nomad Ecuador eSIM (most eSIM options)
- Holafly's South America eSIM (best value for money when also visiting other Central- and South American countries)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Ecuador
Do these eSIMs not sound appealing to you, or does your phone not support eSIMs (but still thought this guide was insightful enough that you read it until the end)?
Consider getting an Ecuadorian SIM card instead – that linked guide is the most extensive SIM card buying guide for Ecuador on the web, packed with insightful information and tips.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!