Finland – known for (often) being the happiest country in the world, is a country in the Nordics.
Depending on who you ask, it is also part of Scandinavia, but this topic often brings up heated debates.
As a Nordic country, Finland is not known for warm weather, especially up north (but that can change thanks to lovely climate change).
However, some summer days do call for shirts and shorts; although Finns may claim they are literally melting.
While being a large country, it is a sparsely populated nation – mostly due to the climate.
As a result, however, the nature is stunning in Finland.
And of course, it is an excellent destination for winter sports activities.
Before you stream your snowboard experience, do note that international roaming can be expensive.
If you do not watch out, the roaming bill can be more expensive than your whole trip in Finland.
Instead, if your phone supports eSIM, you may want to go with a travel eSIM to skip the queues in Finland.
So, how much do Finnish (travel) eSIMs cost?
You can get an eSIM for Finland for as low as 4.50 USD up to 99 USD from Airalo (with Finn Communications), Holafly & Nomad, offering between 1 GB and truly unlimited data.
There are some mobile operators who will charge you 100 USD for only 100 MB of roaming data, so these travel eSIM offers are much better than most international roaming deals.
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by the Finnish mobile operators (if available), Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's get started.
Original publication: 9th of August 2022. Last updated: 21st of August 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Finnish Mobile Operators
In order to get the best performance out there, it is often recommended to go directly with the local mobile operators because you will get a higher priority on the network compared to roaming.
Unfortunately, none of the mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers in Finland (yet).
Elisa Finland, Telia Finland & DNA Finland have eSIMs, but only for postpaid customers.
But that is fine – you have other options.
Travel eSIM providers Airalo (with Finn Communications), Holafly & Nomad offer attractive eSIMs for Finland, allowing them to be set up before arriving in Finland and activating them as soon as you land.
Very convenient, right? And I have used eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad before, and I can assure you they work well!
So let's check out all the options, shall we?
Airalo eSIMs for Finland (Finn Communications)
Airalo eSIMs are my favorite travel eSIMs out there because they are always good value for money compared to other travel eSIM providers (especially travel eSIMs not mentioned in this guide).
And the same can be said for the Finn Communications eSIM – 10 GB of data is available for only 18 USD.
The Finn Communications eSIM uses the DNA Finland network, which is the best overall Finnish mobile operator (coverage and speed-wise).
So even if you go to some remote Finnish town, you will still have reception with the Finn Communications eSIM.
Alright, you have four Finnish Finn Communications eSIM options:
- Finland/Finn Communications 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 4.50 USD (most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers)
- Finland/Finn Communications 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 8 USD
- Finland/Finn Communications 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 12 USD
- Finland/Finn Communications 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 18 USD (most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers)
When I say that the 1 GB & 10 GB variants are loved by Phone Travel Wiz readers, all readers get either the 1 GB or 10 GB variants.
So yeah, they are really popular.
For Airalo eSIMs, the links above will automatically get you the Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers available – a code is not necessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Honestly, the Finn Communications eSIM gives you the best bang for your buck, and it is the eSIM I recommend the most for Finland.
Airalo Finn Communications eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Finn Communications eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Finn Communications eSIM before arriving in Finland (and activate it upon landing)
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Finland's best mobile operator – DNA Finland
- The eSIMs are affordable and have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Airalo though – there are some disadvantages.
Airalo Finn Communications eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get the Finn Communications eSIM?
- The Finnish mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to DNA Finland's network, the best in Finland, your speeds will not be as fast as going with DNA Finland itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Finn Communications eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Finn Communications eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Airalo gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit an Airalo store because there are none)
Airalo Finn Communications eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Airalo Finn Communications eSIM is a great eSIM offering a lot for the money you pay (especially compared to many non-EU countries).
You get fast speeds and access to the best Finnish network (DNA Finland) without standing in queues.
But if making actual phone calls and sending real text messages are important to you (so not through an app like WhatsApp), you may want to buy a Finnish SIM card instead.
Holafly eSIMs for Finland
The second eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
It started something revolutionary in June 2022.
Holafly offers unlimited data plans for Finland, many other European Union member states & a few other countries.
From what I know, Holafly is the first to offer unlimited data plans for so many countries WITHOUT a Fair-Use Policy.
And that is super exciting!
Now, I have to say that the unlimited data plans offered by Holafly are more expensive than the Airalo Finn Communications eSIM or the eSIMs sold by Nomad.
But if you do not want to worry about data allowances, Holafly is the one to go for.
The Holafly eSIMs use the DNA Finland network (as well).
You have the following seven options with Holafly:
- Finland unlimited data eSIM for 5 days, costing 19 USD/19 EUR/19 GBP
- Finland unlimited data eSIM for 10 days, costing 34 USD/34 EUR/29 GBP
- Finland unlimited data eSIM for 15 days, costing 47 USD/47 EUR/44 GBP
- Finland unlimited data eSIM for 20 days, costing 54 USD/57 EUR/49 GBP
- Finland unlimited data eSIM for 30 days, costing 64 USD/69 EUR/59 GBP
- Finland unlimited data eSIM for 60 days, costing 84 USD/87 EUR/77 GBP
- Finland unlimited data eSIM for 90 days, costing 99 USD/99 EUR/87 GBP
While I do not know which variant Phone Travel Wiz readers go with, I can tell you that the Holafly eSIMs are popular with those who simply do not want to worry about data caps.
And based on the emails I have received, the 20-, 30- & 60-day plans are popular because those who buy Holafly eSIMs tend to stay in Finland for a prolonged period to explore the country.
As I recently started my collaboration with Holafly, it offers 5% off each purchase whenever you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – how cool is that?
- Check out my Holafly eSIM reviews
Of course, there are some pros and cons with going with Holafly, so let's go over them.
Holafly Finland eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Holafly Finland eSIM before arriving in Finland (and activate it upon landing)
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access on the DNA Finland network – the best network in Finland
- You do not have to deal with data caps because you get unlimited data (85 GB – here I come!)
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Holafly though – there are some disadvantages.
Holafly Finland eSIM eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Holafly Finland eSIM?
- While the Finland mobile operators do not offer unlimited data plans (yet), their plans are much cheaper than Holafly
- While you get access to the DNA Finland network – the best network in Finland – your speeds will not be as fast as going with DNA Finland itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Holafly gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit an Holafly store because there are none)
- Holafly is the most expensive travel eSIM provider in this guide
Holafly Finland eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Holafly Finland eSIM is an excellent eSIM for those who hate data caps and just want to use data the way they want.
You get fast speeds and access to the DNA Finland network, which has the best 4G/LTE network in Finland.
However, Holafly is the most expensive option in this guide and may not be the best for budget travelers.
Luckily, we still have one more Finland-specific travel eSIM to go through, which is cheaper than Holafly.
Nomad eSIMs for Finland
The last eSIM provider I recommend is Nomad.
Nomad is just in the middle.
But that does not mean Nomad is bad – not at all.
The Nomad Finland eSIM uses various operators.
This way, you will always be connected!
Nomad is a bit more expensive than Airalo's Finn Communications eSIM but cheaper than Holafly.
That is because, unlike the other two eSIM providers, the Nomad Finland eSIM uses various of several Finnish networks (Elisa Finland, Telia Finland & DNA Finland), allowing you access to the best network at your location.
And for this feature, you pay a little more than Airalo, which only uses DNA Finland.
You have the following four options with Nomad:
- Finland 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 8 USD/8 EUR/7 GBP/10.50 CAD
- Finland 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 16 USD/16 EUR/13.50 GBP/21 CAD
- Finland 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 18 USD/18 EUR/15 GBP/23.50 CAD
- Finland 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 26 USD/26 EUR/22 GBP/33.50 CAD
By the way, you can get 3 USD off of your first Nomad purchase by using code ADU123 – how cool is that?
- Check out my Nomad eSIM reviews
Of course, going with Nomad has some pros and cons, so let's go over them.
Nomad Finland eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Nomad eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Nomad Finland eSIM before arriving in Finland (and activate it upon landing)
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access on all Finnish networks, allowing you to have the best reception at all times
- The eSIMs are affordable and have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Finland eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Nomad Finland eSIM?
- While you get access to four networks, your speeds will not be as fast as going with the Finnish mobile operators themselves because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Finland eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Finland eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Nomad gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit a Nomad store because there are none)
- Airalo is cheaper than Nomad with all variants
Nomad Finland eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad eSIM is a great premium eSIM offering.
You will always have the best reception because the Nomad because it automatically switches to the best network at your location.
Moreover, the Nomad Finland eSIMs will be cheaper than getting the SIM cards of the three Finnish mobile operators.
However, just like the other travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide, you do not get a (local) phone number with the Nomad Finland eSIM.
Moreover, Nomad is not the cheapest option out there (that would be Airalo).
Best eSIMs for in Europe (not just Finland)
So what if you plan to visit neighboring Norway? Russia? Sweden? Or any other country in the European Union?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Finn Communications, Holafly Finland, or Nomad Finland eSIMs in any country than Finland.
However, the three eSIM providers do have eSIMs covering all of the European Union and European Economic area + some other countries.
I highly recommend these Europe eSIMs if you plan to visit multiple European countries to save money!
The Eurolink eSIM is the most popular Airalo eSIM, per Phone Travel Wiz readers.
Most readers tend to visit multiple European countries, so they would rather have a travel eSIM covering multiple countries than just one (like Finland).
The Eurolink eSIM can be used in 39 countries in Europe, including all nations in the European Union (EU).
The eSIM can be used from Iceland to Ukraine and Norway to Spain.
Below is a complete overview of countries the Eurolink eSIM works in:
1 on 3G only
With the Eurolink eSIM, you can save a lot of money by skipping the initial SIM card costs per country you visit – averaging 10.78 USD/country in Europe!
Below is an overview of how much each Eurolink eSIM costs:
- Europe/Eurolink 1 GB eSIM for 1 day, costing 5 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 20 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 37 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 50 GB eSIM for 90 days, costing 100 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 100 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 185 USD
Honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is my favorite Europe travel eSIM out there. Affordable, extensive & good value for your money.
I also used it during my 1-month tour throughout Europe in 12 countries.
- Check out my Airalo Eurolink eSIM review (tested in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Hungary, Greece, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia & Spain)
So yeah, you can say I have some experience with the Eurolink eSIM 😏.
Holafly & Nomad eSIMs for Europe
Holafly and Nomad also have eSIMs covering all of the European Union (and more).
But honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is superior (but you can consider the Holafly Europe eSIM if you want unlimited data in 30+ countries – just do not forget about code PHONETRAVELWIZ if you go with Holafly).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Finland (Airalo vs. Holafly vs. Nomad)
There is no Finnish mobile operator offering eSIMs to prepaid customers.
But that is fine – we discussed several other options in this guide!
In terms of the travel eSIMs, this would be my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Finn Communications Finland eSIM (best value for money)
- Airalo's Eurolink Europe eSIM (best value for money when also visiting other European countries)
- Holafly Finland eSIM (truly unlimited data plans at premium prices)
- Nomad Finland eSIM (switches to the best network, allowing for excellent reception at all times)
- Holafly Finland eSIM (truly unlimited data plans when also visiting other European countries at premium prices)
- Nomad Europe eSIM (the best of both worlds in terms of pricing and performance)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Finland
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting a Finland SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!