Ireland – the land of the Leprechaun, St. Patrick's Day & Guinness Beer.
Just like in the United Kingdom, the pubs are popular in Ireland.
If Irish Pubs are better than the British ones – I cannot tell. I do not drink ;)
The country also has a rich history and loads of nature to explore.
With rugged landscapes, there are beautiful hills to explore.
Arts and culture are also prominent in Ireland.
And, of course, you can drink yourself away in any pub – even in the most remote town you can think of.
Before you post your party pics online, be aware that international roaming can be expensive.
Luckily for you, however, travel eSIMs are a thing, and they are often much cheaper than international roaming rates.
So, how much do Irish (travel) eSIMs cost?
You can get an eSIM for Ireland for as low as 5 USD up to 99 USD from Airalo (with Fáilte), Holafly & Nomad, offering between 1 GB and truly unlimited data.
There are some mobile operators who will charge you 100 USD for only 100 MB of roaming data, so these travel eSIM offers are much better than most international roaming deals.
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by the Irish mobile operators (if available), Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's get started.
Original publication: 16th of August 2022. Last updated: 21st of August 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Irish Mobile Operators
In order to get the best performance out there, it is often recommended to go directly with the local mobile operators because you will get a higher priority on the network compared to roaming.
Unfortunately, none of the mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers in Ireland (yet).
Three (3) Ireland, Vodafone Ireland & eir also have eSIMs, but only for postpaid customers.
Travel eSIM providers Airalo (with Fáilte), Holafly & Nomad offer attractive eSIMs for Ireland, allowing them to be set up before arriving in Ireland and activating them as soon as you land.
Very convenient, right? And I have used eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad before, and I can assure you they work well!
So let's check out all the options, shall we?
Airalo eSIMs for Ireland (Fáilte)
Airalo eSIMs are my favorite travel eSIMs out there because they are always good value for money compared to other travel eSIM providers (especially travel eSIMs not mentioned in this guide).
And the same can be said for the Fáilte eSIM – 10 GB of data is available for only 22 USD.
The Fáilte eSIM uses the Three (3) Ireland, which is the best overall Irish mobile operator (coverage and speed-wise) & eir network.
So even if you go to some remote Irish town, you will still have reception with the Fáilte eSIM.
Alright, you have four Irish Fáilte eSIM options:
- Ireland/Fáilte 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 5 USD
- Ireland/Fáilte 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 9 USD (most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers)
- Ireland/Fáilte 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD (most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers)
- Ireland/Fáilte 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 22 USD
When I say that the 3 GB & 5 GB variants are loved by Phone Travel Wiz readers, all readers get either the 3 GB or 5 GB variants.
So yeah, they are really popular.
For Airalo eSIMs, the links above will automatically get you the Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers available – a code is not necessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Honestly, the Fáilte eSIM gives you the best bang for your buck, and it is the eSIM I recommend the most for Ireland.
Airalo Fáilte eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Fáilte eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Fáilte eSIM before arriving in Ireland (and activate it upon landing)
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Ireland's best mobile operator – Three (3) Ireland
- The eSIMs are affordable and have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Airalo though – there are some disadvantages.
Airalo Fáilte eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get the Fáilte eSIM?
- The Irish mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to Three (3) Ireland's network, one of the best in Ireland, your speeds will not be as fast as going with Three (3) Ireland itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Fáilte eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Fáilte eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Airalo gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit an Airalo store because there are none)
Airalo Fáilte eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Airalo Fáilte eSIM is a great eSIM offering a lot for the money you pay (especially compared to many non-EU countries).
You get fast speeds and access to one of the best Irish networks (Three (3) Ireland & eir) without standing in queues or dealing with SIM card registration bureaucracy.
But if making actual phone calls and sending real text messages are important to you (so not through an app like WhatsApp), you may want to buy an Irish SIM card instead.
Holafly eSIMs for Ireland
The second eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
It started something revolutionary in June 2022.
Holafly offers unlimited data plans for Ireland, many other European Union member states & a few other countries.
From what I know, Holafly is the first to offer unlimited data plans for so many countries WITHOUT a Fair-Use Policy.
And that is super exciting!
Now, I have to say that the unlimited data plans offered by Holafly are more expensive than the Airalo Fáilte eSIM or the eSIMs sold by Nomad.
But if you do not want to worry about data allowances, Holafly is the one to go for.
The Holafly eSIMs use the Vodafone Ireland network.
You have the following seven options with Holafly:
- Ireland unlimited data eSIM for 5 days, costing 19 USD/19 EUR/19 GBP
- Ireland unlimited data eSIM for 10 days, costing 34 USD/34 EUR/29 GBP
- Ireland unlimited data eSIM for 15 days, costing 47 USD/47 EUR/44 GBP
- Ireland unlimited data eSIM for 20 days, costing 54 USD/57 EUR/49 GBP
- Ireland unlimited data eSIM for 30 days, costing 64 USD/69 EUR/59 GBP
- Ireland unlimited data eSIM for 60 days, costing 84 USD/87 EUR/77 GBP
- Ireland unlimited data eSIM for 90 days, costing 99 USD/99 EUR/87 GBP
While I do not know which variant Phone Travel Wiz readers go with, I can tell you that the Holafly eSIMs are popular with those who simply do not want to worry about data caps.
And based on the emails I have received, the 20-, 30- & 60-day plans are popular because those who buy Holafly eSIMs tend to stay in Ireland for a prolonged period to explore the country.
As I recently started my collaboration with Holafly, it offers 5% off each purchase whenever you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – how cool is that?
- Check out my Holafly eSIM reviews
Of course, there are some pros and cons with going with Holafly, so let's go over them.
Holafly Ireland eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Holafly Ireland eSIM before arriving in Ireland (and activate it upon landing)
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access on the Vodafone Ireland network – the best network in Ireland (together with Three (3) Ireland)
- You do not have to deal with data caps because you get unlimited data (85 GB – here I come!)
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Holafly though – there are some disadvantages.
Holafly Ireland eSIM eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Holafly Ireland eSIM?
- While the Irish mobile operators do not offer unlimited data plans (yet), their plans are much cheaper than Holafly
- While you get access to the Vodafone Ireland network – the best network in Ireland – your speeds will not be as fast as going with Vodafone Ireland itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Holafly gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit an Holafly store because there are none)
- Holafly is the most expensive travel eSIM provider in this guide
Holafly Ireland eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Holafly Ireland eSIM is an excellent eSIM for those who hate data caps and just want to use data the way they want.
You get fast speeds and access to the Vodafone Ireland network, which has the best 4G/LTE network in Ireland.
However, Holafly is the most expensive option in this guide and may not be the best for budget travelers.
Luckily, we still have one more Ireland-specific travel eSIM to go through, which is cheaper than Holafly and has an option offering double the data allowance of Airalo, which is…
Nomad eSIMs for Ireland
The last eSIM provider I recommend is Nomad.
Nomad is just in the middle.
But that does not mean Nomad is bad – not at all.
The Nomad Ireland eSIM uses the Truphone network, which is active in any country you can think of.
In Ireland, it uses a combination of networks, allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always be connected!
Nomad is a bit more expensive than Airalo's Fáilte eSIM but cheaper than Holafly.
That is because, unlike the other two eSIM providers, the Nomad Ireland eSIM uses a combination of several Irish networks (Three (3) Ireland, Vodafone Ireland & eir), allowing you access to the best network at your location.
And for this feature, you pay a little more than Airalo, which only uses Three (3) Ireland & eir.
You have the following five options with Nomad:
- Ireland 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 6 USD/6 EUR/5 GBP/8 CAD
- Ireland 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 12 USD/12 EUR/10 GBP/15.50 CAD
- Ireland 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 17 USD/17 EUR/14.50 GBP/22 CAD
- Ireland 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 24 USD/24 EUR/20 GBP/31 CAD
- Ireland 20 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 34 USD/34 EUR/28.50 GBP/44 CAD
By the way, you can get 3 USD off of your first Nomad purchase by using code ADU123 – how cool is that?
- Check out my Nomad eSIM reviews
Of course, going with Nomad has some pros and cons, so let's go over them.
Nomad Ireland eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Nomad eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Nomad Ireland eSIM before arriving in Ireland (and activate it upon landing)
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access on all Irish networks, allowing you to have the best reception at all times
- The eSIMs are affordable and have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Ireland eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Nomad Ireland eSIM?
- While you get access to four networks, your speeds will not be as fast as going with the Irish mobile operators themselves because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Ireland eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Ireland eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Nomad gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit a Nomad store because there are none)
- Airalo is cheaper than Nomad with all variants
Nomad Ireland eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad eSIM is a great premium eSIM offering.
You will always have the best reception because the Nomad because it automatically switches to the best network at your location.
However, just like the other travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide, you do not get a (local) phone number with the Nomad Ireland eSIM.
Moreover, Nomad is not the cheapest option out there (that would be Airalo).
Best eSIMs for in Europe (not just Ireland)
So what if you plan to visit neighboring United Kingdom? Or any other country in the European Union?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Fáilte, Holafly Ireland, or Nomad Ireland eSIMs in any country than Ireland.
However, the three eSIM providers do have eSIMs covering all of the European Union and European Economic area + some other countries.
I highly recommend these Europe eSIMs if you plan to visit multiple European countries to save money!
The Eurolink eSIM is the most popular Airalo eSIM, per Phone Travel Wiz readers.
Most readers tend to visit multiple European countries, so they would rather have a travel eSIM covering multiple countries than just one (like Ireland).
The Eurolink eSIM can be used in 39 countries in Europe, including all nations in the European Union (EU).
The eSIM can be used from Iceland to Ukraine and Norway to Spain.
Below is a complete overview of countries the Eurolink eSIM works in:
1 on 3G only
With the Eurolink eSIM, you can save a lot of money by skipping the initial SIM card costs per country you visit – averaging 10.78 USD/country in Europe!
Below is an overview of how much each Eurolink eSIM costs:
- Europe/Eurolink 1 GB eSIM for 1 day, costing 5 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 20 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 37 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 50 GB eSIM for 90 days, costing 100 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 100 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 185 USD
Honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is my favorite Europe travel eSIM out there. Affordable, extensive & good value for your money.
I also used it during my 1-month tour throughout Europe in 12 countries.
- Check out my Airalo Eurolink eSIM review (tested in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Hungary, Greece, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia & Spain)
So yeah, you can say I have some experience with the Eurolink eSIM 😏.
Holafly & Nomad eSIMs for Europe
Holafly and Nomad also have eSIMs covering all of the European Union (and more).
But honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is superior (but you can consider the Holafly Europe eSIM if you want unlimited data in 30+ countries – just do not forget about code PHONETRAVELWIZ if you go with Holafly).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Ireland (Airalo vs. Holafly vs. Nomad)
Three (3) Ireland, Vodafone Ireland & eir are the only Irish mobile operators offering eSIMs to prepaid customers.
But that is fine – we discussed several other options in this guide!
In terms of the travel eSIMs, this would be my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Fáilte Ireland eSIM (best value for money)
- Airalo's Eurolink Europe eSIM (best value for money when also visiting other European countries)
- Holafly Ireland eSIM (truly unlimited data plans at premium prices)
- Nomad Ireland eSIM (switches to the best network, allowing for excellent reception at all times)
- Holafly Europe eSIM (truly unlimited data plans when also visiting other European countries at premium prices)
- Nomad Europe eSIM (the best of both worlds in terms of pricing and performance)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Ireland
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting an Irish SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!