Kyrgyzstan is probably not the most popular travel destination in Asia, but it still has a lot to offer.
Especially when it is a relatively affordable country for travel.
What you should not do, in many cases, is roam internationally in Kyrgyzstan.
International roaming can be expensive, which is why using local and travel eSIMs is recommended to save money.
And if you get a travel eSIM, you do not have to deal with the SIM card registration bureaucracy and skip the queues in Kyrgyzstan.
How much will a local or travel eSIM for Kyrgyzstan cost you?
You can get an eSIM for Kyrgyzstan for as little as 8 USD, with 1 GB of data for 7 days, up to 102 USD, with 25 GB for 90 days, from Airalo (Doské) & Holafly.
Those are some generous data allowances, right?
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by the Kyrgyz mobile operators, Airalo & Holafly. Let's do this.
Original publication: 15th of September 2022. Last updated: 27th of January 2023.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Travel eSIMs for Kyrgyzstan
To get the best service available, in terms of reception and speeds, you want to go with the local mobile operators directly instead of with a travel eSIM.
That is because you will have a higher priority on the network in case of network congestion.
However, that does not mean travel eSIMs will always be slow.
In fact, some mobile operators throttle (prepaid) on select plans or all plans for “optimization” reasons (read: we cannot be bothered to invest in our network).
You have several options for getting an eSIM for your trip to Kyrgyzstan: You can choose from Airalo (with Doské) & Holafly.
Not only can you set up these eSIMs before arriving in Kyrgyzstan and activate them upon landing, but you can also avoid Kyrgyzstan's SIM card registration scheme, which is mandatory for anyone using Kyrgyz SIM cards and eSIMs.
While mobile data is already affordable in Kyrgyzstan, getting a travel eSIM will not break the bank – not at all.
Plus, I have plenty of experience with Airalo & Holafly, and I can assure you they work well – and other Phone Travel Wiz readers also had pleasant experiences with them.
So let's see what these travel eSIM providers have to offer in Kyrgyzstan, right?
Airalo eSIMs for Kyrgyzstan (Doské)
If I could only get a travel eSIM during my trip because I do not have the time or opportunity to buy a local SIM card or eSIM, then I would always get an eSIM from Airalo.
Airalo has eSIMs for around 190 countries, offers eSIMs at the lowest prices (on average compared to the competition) & has good service.
Airalo usually partners with the local mobile operator with the best coverage, the fastest speeds, or both.
And if it needs to partner up with multiple mobile operators, it does so, allowing you to have the best reception at all times.
Anyway, you can get a Doské eSIM for as low as 8 USD, with 1 GB of data, up to 24 USD, with 5 GB of data.
Those prices and data allowances are not too bad, right?
Especially knowing that the Doské eSIM uses the Beeline Kyrgyzstan network.
The following three Kyrgyz Doské eSIM options are available:
- Kyrgyzstan/Doské 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 8 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Kyrgyzstan/Doské 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 21 USD
- Kyrgyzstan/Doské 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 24 USD
Be aware: you will be restricted to 3G – not 4G/LTE with the Doské eSIM (unlike most Airalo eSIMs – but mobile internet speeds are not fast in Kyrgyzstan anyway).
The Airalo links will automatically get you the available Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers – a code is unnecessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Overall, the Doské eSIM gives you fantastic value for your money.
Airalo Doské eSIM Pros
Are there any other reasons why you should get the Doské eSIM for your trip? For sure:
- You can activate your Doské eSIM as soon as you land in Kyrgyzstan
- You get full (up to 3G) access to Beeline Kyrgyzstan
- Doské eSIMs are affordable (especially compared to roaming) and have generous data allowances
- You do not have to worry about SIM card registration with the Doské eSIM, saving you time
- Out of data? You can simply top up online on the Airalo website and not worry about language barriers when dealing with local agents
There are many other small pros, but these are the major ones.
It would be disingenuous not to mention some cons, so here we go.
Airalo Doské eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get the Doské eSIM?
- The Kyrgyz mobile operators, including Beeline Kyrgyzstan itself, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to Beeline Kyrgyzstan's network, you will be restricted to 3G – so no 4G/LTE.
- You cannot call or text with the Doské eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Airalo Doské eSIM Overall Thoughts
Honestly, the Doské eSIM is fantastic.
The plans offered with Doské eSIMs are generous and affordable.
You get fast speeds and access to Beeline Kyrgyzstan, without standing in queues or dealing with SIM card registration bureaucracy.
And everything, purchasing and topping up, can be done online on the Airalo website or Airalo app (downloading the app is recommended).
Unfortunately, you cannot call or text with the Doské eSIM, as it is a data-only eSIM.
Holafly eSIMs for Kyrgyzstan
The other travel eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Kyrgyzstan… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
The Holafly eSIMs use the MegaCom Kyrgyzstan network.
You have the following seven Kyrgyzstan eSIM options with Holafly:
- Kyrgyzstan 3 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/19 EUR/19 GBP/27 AUD/24 CAD
- Kyrgyzstan 5 GB eSIM for 10 days, costing 35 USD/34 EUR/29 GBP/49 AUD/44 CAD
- Kyrgyzstan 7 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 48 USD/47 EUR/44 GBP/67 AUD/55 CAD
- Kyrgyzstan 10 GB eSIM for 20 days, costing 59 USD/57 EUR/49 GBP/84 AUD/74 CAD
- Kyrgyzstan 12 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 71 USD/69 EUR/59 GBP/99 AUD/89 CAD
- Kyrgyzstan 18 GB eSIM for 60 days, costing 89 USD/87 EUR/77 GBP/127 AUD/114 CAD
- Kyrgyzstan 25 GB eSIM for 90 days, costing 102 USD/99 EUR/87 GBP/144 AUD/129 CAD
As I recently started my collaboration with Holafly, you can get 5% off each purchase whenever you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – awesome, right?
- Check out my Holafly reviews
Of course, there are some pros and cons with going with Holafly, so let's go over them.
Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to MegaCom Kyrgyzstan's network
- You can activate your Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM as soon as you land in Kyrgyzstan
- The Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM offers the most data
But it is not all good news with Holafly though – there are some disadvantages.
Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Kyrgyzs mobile operators, including MegaCom Kyrgyzstan, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to MegaCom Kyrgyzstan's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with MegaCom Kyrgyzstan directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM (yet)
Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM is an excellent eSIM with a lot of options to choose from.
You get fast speeds and access to the MegaCom Kyrgyzstan network.
However, Holafly is the most expensive option in this guide and may not be the best for budget travelers.
Best eSIMs for in Asia (not just Kyrgyzstan)
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Doské or Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIMs in any country than Kyrgyzstan.
There are some eSIMs out there that allow you to use your allowance in several East Asian and Southeast Asian countries.
Sadly, Kyrgyzstan is not one of them, but I still want to introduce them to you because they will be much cheaper than buying multiple eSIMs, or SIM cards for that matter, per country.
I highly recommend these Asia/APAC eSIMs if you plan to visit multiple East- and Southeast Asian countries to save money!
Airalo recently heavily improved its Asia eSIM, which used to offer a meager 4 GB of high-speed data before allowing for unlimited data at snail speeds, following the popular Eurolink eSIM for 39 European countries.
The Eurolink eSIM is the most popular eSIM for Phone Travel readers, and I have no doubt that the Asialink eSIM will be popular too.
Just like in Europe, many readers tend to visit multiple Asian countries, so they would rather have a travel eSIM covering multiple countries than just one (like Kyrgyzstan).
The Asialink eSIM can be used in the following 14 countries:
- Hong Kong
- Singapore 1
- South Korea
1 currently, newly bought Asialink eSIMs cannot be used in Singapore. Airalo is working on re-including Singapore in its Asialink offering
Below is an overview of how much each Asialink eSIM costs:
- Asia/Asialink 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 5 USD
- Asia/Asialink 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Asia/Asialink 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 20 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Asia/Asialink 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 37 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Asia/Asialink 50 GB eSIM for 90 days, costing 100 USD
- Asia/Asialink 100 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 185 USD
Holafly & Nomad eSIMs for Kyrgyzstan
Because of Airalo's previous Asia eSIM, I used to recommend Nomad's APAC eSIMs instead (to be used in 8 countries).
This eSIM can be used in Australia, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore & Thailand (1 GB/7 days/15 USD – 20 GB/30 days/69 USD).
As you can see, this eSIM cannot be used in Kyrgyzstan, so it would be useless here but useful in the aforementioned countries.
The Holafly Asia eSIM has only one variant: 8 GB for 30 days, costing 47 USD/49 EUR/34 GBP.
This eSIM can be used in Cambodia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand & Vietnam.
Basically, the same countries as the Airalo Asialink eSIM with just fewer options (1 variant (8 GB) vs. 6 variants (1 GB/3 GB/5 GB/10 GB/50 GB/100 GB) and much more expensive.
So yeah, the Asialink eSIM is superior, I would say.
Remember, the Airalo links above will automatically offer you the best deals.
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Kyrgyzstan (Airalo vs. Holafly)
In this guide, I went over various eSIMs for Kyrgyzstan: Airalo (Doské) & Holafly.
Below is an overview of my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Kyrgyzstan Doské eSIM (best value for money)
- Holafly Kyrgyzstan eSIM (generous data plans at premium prices)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Kyrgyzstan
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting a Kyrgyz SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!