Myanmar is probably not the most popular travel destination in Southeast Asia, but it still has a lot to offer.
Especially when it is a relatively affordable country for travel.
One way to keep your costs low is by using a travel eSIM because international roaming can be crazy expensive.
Which is why using local and travel eSIMs is recommended to save money.
And if you get a travel eSIM, you do not have to deal with the SIM card registration bureaucracy and skip the queues in Myanmar.
How much will a local or travel eSIM for Myanmar cost you?
You can get an eSIM for Myanmar for as little as 20 USD, with 1 GB of data for 7 days, up to 47 USD, with 8 GB of data for 30 days, from Holafly & Nomad.
Those are some generous data allowances, right?
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by Holafly & Nomad. Let's do this.
Original publication: 24th of August 2022. Last updated: 24th of August 2022.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Travel eSIMs for Myanmar
To get the best service available, in terms of reception and speeds, you want to go with the local mobile operators directly instead of with a travel eSIM.
That is because you will have a higher priority on the network in case of network congestion.
However, that does not mean travel eSIMs will always be slow.
In fact, some mobile operators throttle (prepaid) on select plans or all plans for “optimization” reasons (read: we cannot be bothered to invest in our network).
Luckily, you have options for getting an eSIM for your trip to Myanmar: You can choose travel eSIMs from Holafly & Nomad.
Not only can you set up these eSIMs before arriving in Myanmar and activate them upon landing, but you can also avoid Myanmar's SIM card registration scheme, which is mandatory for anyone using Burmese SIM cards and eSIMs.
While mobile data is already affordable in Myanmar, getting a travel eSIM will not break the bank – not at all.
Plus, I have plenty of experience with Holafly & Nomad, and I can assure you they work well – and other Phone Travel Wiz readers also had pleasant experiences with them.
So let's see what these travel eSIM providers have to offer in Myanmar, right?
Nomad eSIMs for Myanmar
The first eSIM provider I recommend is Nomad.
In fact, I have been in close contact with Nomad as soon as I partnered up with them.
For example, upon my recommendation, it started offering the Nordics regional eSIM – an eSIM that can be used in Denmark, Finland, Sweden & Norway.
Yes, I really try to get the best offers and deals for you 🥰.
Another thing I have been pushing Nomad for, and Holafly (to be discussed next) for that matter, is lowering its prices or increasing its data allowances.
In June, Nomad started offering a 2 GB eSIM variant upon my request for various other Asian countries (because Phone Travel Wiz readers asked for such an eSIM) at competitive prices.
So yes, Nomad is looking out for you 👁👁.
Anyway, in Myanmar, it uses the Truphone network, which uses a combination of local networks, allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always be connected!
You have the following three options with Nomad for Myanmar:
- Myanmar 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/20 EUR/17 GBP/26 CAD
- Myanmar 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 48 USD/47.50 EUR/40 GBP/62 CAD
- Myanmar 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/53.50 EUR/45 GBP/69.50 CAD
Even though Nomad dropped its prices for Myanmar eSIMs, you can still get 3 USD off your first Nomad purchase by using code ADU123!
- Check out my Nomad eSIM reviews
Of course, going with Nomad has some pros and cons, so let's go over them.
Nomad Myanmar eSIM Pros
So, why should you get a Nomad eSIM? Because:
- You can activate your Nomad Myanmar eSIM as soon as you land in Myanmar
- You do not have to worry about SIM card registration, saving you time
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access on all Burmese networks, allowing you to have the best reception at all times
- Nomad Myanmar eSIMs are the cheapest eSIMs offered in this guide
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
- Out of data? You can simply top up online on the Nomad website and not worry about language barriers when dealing with local agents
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Myanmar eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get the Nomad Myanmar eSIM?
- The Burmese mobile operators have much more generous data allowances and cheaper plans
- While you get access to seven networks, your speeds will not be as fast as going with the Burmese mobile operators themselves because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Myanmar eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Myanmar eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Nomad Myanmar eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad Myanmar eSIM is a great premium eSIM offering with the lowest prices in this guide.
You will always have the best reception because the Nomad Myanmar eSIM automatically switches to the best network at your location.
However, just like the other travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide, you do not get a (local) phone number with the Nomad Myanmar eSIM.
Moreover, you can only get up to 5 GB of data.
Luckily, you can top up your Nomad Myanmar eSIM with more data if you want.
Holafly eSIMs for Myanmar
The other travel eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Myanmar… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only two Holafly Myanmar eSIMs (which use the MPT & Ooredoo Myanmar networks):
Not much choice, as you can see.
- Myanmar 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP
- Myanmar 8 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 47 USD/49 EUR/37 GBP
As I recently started my collaboration with Holafly, you can get 5% off each purchase whenever you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – awesome, right?
- Check out my Holafly eSIM reviews
Of course, there are some pros and cons with going with Holafly, so let's go over them.
Holafly Myanmar eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Myanmar eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to MPT & Ooredoo Myanmar
- Unlike going with MPT & Ooredoo Myanmar directly, you do not have to worry about SIM card registration because it is unnecessary
- You can activate your Holafly Myanmar eSIM as soon as you land in Myanmar
- The Holafly Myanmar eSIM offers the most data
But it is not all good news with Holafly though – there are some disadvantages.
Holafly Myanmar eSIM eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Holafly Myanmar eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Myanmar eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Burmese mobile operators, including MPT & Ooredoo Myanmar, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to MPT & Ooredoo Myanmar networks, your speeds may not be as fast as going with MPT & Ooredoo Myanmar directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Myanmar eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Myanmar eSIM (yet)
Holafly Myanmar eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Myanmar eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Myanmar eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Myanmar.
But it still is not cheap.
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Myanmar (Holafly vs. Nomad)
In this guide, I went over various eSIMs for Myanmar: Holafly & Nomad.
Below is an overview of my recommendation order:
- Nomad Myanmar eSIM (cheapest and excellent performance)
- Holafly Myanmar eSIM (most generous data plan)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs.
Buying a SIM Card in Myanmar
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting a Burmese SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!