Tajikistan is probably not the most popular travel destination in Asia, but it still has a lot to offer.
Especially when it is a relatively affordable country for travel.
What you should not do, in many cases, is roam internationally in Tajikistan.
International roaming can be expensive, which is why using local and travel eSIMs is recommended to save money.
And if you get a travel eSIM, you do not have to deal with the SIM card registration bureaucracy and skip the queues in Tajikistan.
How much will a (travel) eSIM for Tajikistan cost you?
You can get an eSIM for Tajikistan for as low as 4.50 USD and up to 54 USD from Airalo, Alosim & Holafly offering between 1 GB and 15 GB to be used locally, in Asia, or globally.
Those are some generous data allowances, right?
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by the Tajikistani mobile operators (if available), Airalo, Alosim & Holafly. Let's do this.
Original publication: 16th of September 2022. Last updated: 18th of October 2023.
Table of Contents
In a Hurry? A Quick Introduction
I will write about four eSIM options in Tajikistan (and explain why they are included).
But if you want to quickly check out what the best eSIMs are for Tajikistan without my analysis and explanations, here is an overview of the eSIMs covered in this guide:
- Airalo Sarez Telecom eSIM with four choices between 1 GB and 10 GB (best value for money)
- Alosim Tajikistan eSIM with two choices between 1 GB and 3 GB (priced roughly the same as Airalo)
- Holafly Tajikistan eSIM with three choices between 3 GB and 15 GB (generous data eSIMs – use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for 5% off)
- Airalo Discover Global eSIM with five choices between 1 GB and 20 GB (reasonable global coverage (84+ countries) at attractive prices) – read my ongoing Airalo Discover Global eSIM review too!
Note: the promo codes mentioned above can also be used for regional and global eSIMs (they are not restricted to country-specific eSIMs only). In other news, the eSIM providers are in alphabetical order per grouping (Tajikistan-only, regional & global) – not in order of preference (you would have to read the complete guide to find out which eSIMs I love the most for Tajikistan 😜).
Let's truly get started, shall we?
eSIMs offered by Tajikistani Mobile Operators
To get the best service available, in terms of reception and speeds, you want to go with the local mobile operators directly instead of with a travel eSIM.
That is because you will have a higher priority on the network in case of network congestion.
However, that does not mean travel eSIMs will always be slow.
In fact, some mobile operators throttle (prepaid) on select plans or all plans for “optimization” reasons (read: we cannot be bothered to invest in our network).
Anyway, which Tajikistani mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers?
Currently, none of the mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers.
But you have to deal with Tajikistan's SIM card registration scheme, which is mandatory for anyone using Tajikistani SIM cards and eSIMs – it can be a time-consuming affair.
(Why does this matter? Because hackers can steal your (critical) personal data if the mobile operator does not secure your data properly, like what happened in Australia (10 million Optus customers were affected, where info, like passport numbers, were stolen (including mine – luckily not my passport number but my boyfriend was not as lucky) or Indonesia (1.3 billion SIM card-related data was hacked)).
While mobile data is already affordable in Tajikistan, getting any of the travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide will not break the bank – not at all.
Travel eSIM providers Airalo, Alosim & Holafly offer attractive eSIMs for Tajikistan – some allow their eSIMs to be set up before arriving in Tajikistan and activating them as soon as you land.
Very convenient, right? And I have used eSIMs from Airalo, Alosim & Holafly before, and I can assure you they work well!
So let's see what these travel eSIM providers have to offer in Tajikistan, right?
Airalo eSIMs for Tajikistan (Sarez Telecom)
If I could only get one travel eSIM during my trip because I do not have the time or opportunity to buy a local SIM card or eSIM, I would always get an eSIM from Airalo, like its Sarez Telecom eSIM for Tajikistan.
Not only does Airalo have eSIMs for more than 200 countries and territories, which is an insane number on its own, I almost always have the best network performance with its eSIMs.
Additionally, its eSIMs are frequently one of the cheapest compared to its competition, including the ones mentioned in this guide, which is remarkable on its own.
If you have no idea who or what Airalo is and are confused right now, worry not – I have an in-depth review explaining how Airalo works and all its options based on four years of using Airalo eSIMs – you can read it now or later (I will briefly introduce Airalo anyway in this guide).
Basically, what Airalo does is partner up with local mobile operators to sell plans through its eSIMs in a convenient way on its platform.
In many Asian countries, Airalo works with Singtel from Singapore, the country's best mobile operator, which can then be used in various Asian countries.
That way, you do not have to fly to Singapore, get its SIM card, buy a roaming plan, and then go to Tajikistan with your new package.
Not only would this be expensive, but it would also be a waste of time (unless you already planned on visiting Singapore anyway, like a transit).
So, I already told you that Airalo's Tajikistan eSIM is called Sarez Telecom.
The Sarez Telecom eSIM uses the Zet Mobile Tajikistan network on 3G (no 5G NR access yet, but some Airalo eSIMs already do, so it is only a matter of time).
That way, you can use the Zet Mobile Tajikistan 3G network without going through Tajikistan's SIM card registration requirements (legally, of course)!
Anyway, you have four Airalo Sarez Telecom eSIM options:
- Tajikistan/Sarez Telecom 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 4.50 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Tajikistan/Sarez Telecom 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 9.50 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Tajikistan/Sarez Telecom 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Tajikistan/Sarez Telecom 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 21 USD
Note: Phone Travel Wiz reader popularity ranking was updated in October based on data up to the 11th of October (2023 data only).
Honestly, the Airalo Sarez Telecom eSIM is fantastic and loved by many Phone Travel Wiz readers, especially considering its options and prices.
Let me highlight some strengths and weaknesses of the Airalo Sarez Telecom eSIM before you make your purchase decision (but we still have plenty of Tajikistani travel eSIMs to cover, so do not be too quick!).
Airalo Sarez Telecom eSIM Pros
What are the main perks of Airalo's Sarez Telecom eSIMs?
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
- You can purchase and set up your Sarez Telecom eSIM before arriving in Tajikistan (and activate it upon landing)
- The eSIM will start once you have it enabled and are in Tajikistan – not earlier (so you can pre-purchase your eSIM months in advance in peace – I do this often)
- You can skip Tajikistan's SIM card registration requirements and any queues at the airport or in town
- You get full (up to 3G) access to the Zet Mobile Tajikistan network
- The eSIMs are affordable and have generous data allowances
- You can manage your eSIM easily on the Airalo website or its apps (Android and iOS)
- If you need more data, top-ups are available (at the same prices as listed earlier – not at a markup)
Airalo Sarez Telecom eSIM Cons
What are the main cons of Airalo's Sarez Telecom eSIMs?
- You cannot call or text with the Sarez Telecom eSIM – it is a data-only eSIM (so you do not get a (Tajikistani) phone number either)
- While you get access to Zet Mobile Tajikistan's network, your speeds will not be as fast as going with Zet Mobile Tajikistan itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- The Tajikistani mobile operators have much more generous data allowances (while Sarez Telecom's is capped at 10 GB, but top-ups are available)
- There are no unlimited data plans
- There is no 5G NR access with the Sarez Telecom eSIM
Airalo Sarez Telecom eSIM Overall Thoughts
I have been a big fan of Airalo and its eSIMs in years, as mentioned in my Airalo review, including the Sarez Telecom eSIM.
It offers reasonable data plans for low prices, especially compared to international roaming.
You get fast (3G) speeds and access in Tajikistan without standing in queues or dealing with SIM card registration bureaucracy.
Unfortunately, you cannot call or text with the Sarez Telecom eSIM, as it is a data-only eSIM.
But if you wish to make actual calls, not through VoIP apps like WhatsApp, consider buying a Tajikistani SIM card instead (an in-depth guide).
Alosim eSIMs for Tajikistan
Alosim is an eSIM provider covering
130+ 150+ countries.
Although I only started using its eSIMs in 2023, I like them a lot.
Mostly because Alosim eSIMs have 5G NR access in popular destinations in Asia.
Unfortunately, that is not the case for Tajikistan yet… but that could change soon 😏.
Something even Airalo, the King of eSIMs, does not offer (yet).
And you know I am all about that speed 🐆.
In Tajikistan, Alosim uses the Zet Mobile Tajikistan network.
Just like Airalo, Alosim often partners with the best local network(s) in a country, which I love.
And the eSIMs are affordable too!
You have the following two Alosim Tajikistan eSIM options:
Just note that when you have installed your Alosim eSIM, you always have to manually change the Access Point Name (APN) to alosim instead of the default one, as in the screenshot below.
Of course, Alosim mentions this on the installation page, but it is not something you have to do with man eSIM providers.
So I thought I would mention it here as a heads-up 😜.
Holafly eSIMs for Tajikistan
Another eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
In June 2022, Holafly introduced something that no other travel eSIM provider had done by that time.
You can now get unlimited data plans for several Asian countries, all European Union member states & a handful of other countries.
Wait… there is an eSIM provider offering unlimited data plans, and I (you reading this) have never heard of it? Who is Holafly? 🤔
I have an in-depth review explaining how Holafly works and all its options, based on two years of using Holafly eSIMs – you can read it now or later (I will briefly introduce Holafly anyway in this guide).
Unfortunately, unlimited data plans are unavailable in Tajikistan for now, but Holafly informed me it intends to have unlimited data eSIMs for all supported countries (but it will take a while).
The Holafly Tajikistan eSIM uses the Zet Mobile Tajikistan network.
You have the following three Holafly Tajikistan eSIM options:
- Tajikistan 3 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 37 USD/34 EUR/27 GBP/49 AUD/44 CAD
- Tajikistan 7 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP/67 AUD/59 CAD
- Tajikistan 15 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/59 EUR/49 GBP/84 AUD/77 CAD
Holafly Tajikistan eSIM Pros
What are the main perks of Holafly's Tajikistan eSIMs?
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
- You can skip Tajikistan's SIM card registration requirements
- You get full (3G) access to the Zet Mobile Tajikistan network
- If you, somehow, experience any problems, Holafly's support team responds surprisingly quickly (even on weekends)
Holafly Tajikistan eSIM Cons
What are the main cons of Holafly's Tajikistan eSIMs?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Tajikistan eSIM – it is a data-only eSIM (so you do not get a (Tajikistani) phone number either)
- While you get access to the Zet Mobile Tajikistan network, your speeds will not be as fast as going with them themselves because you will be roaming on their network (and not be a native customer)
- The eSIM's validity, supposedly, starts as soon as you scan the QR code, not upon using it in Tajikistan
- I say supposedly because I have installed eSIMs literally months in advance and had no issues using them later, but I do not want you to experience this issue with your hard-earned money
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly eSIM
- You cannot top-up your eSIM – you have to buy a new one (in case you stay in Tajikistan for a bit longer than initially planned)
- Holafly is the most expensive eSIM provider in this guide for Tajikistan-only eSIMs
Holafly Tajikistan eSIM Overall Thoughts
Unfortunately, unlimited data plans are still unavailable for Tajikistan.
This is a shame because I know many Phone Travel Wiz readers would love such eSIMs.
For now, we just have to be patient.
Currently, Holafly's eSIMs are not the cheapest.
But at least the data allowance is reasonable for the price you pay.
Be sure to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for 5% off to save money on your Holafly Tajikistan eSIM – your wallet will thank you 😜.
Check out my Holafly review, where I share my hands-on experience after using its eSIMs in more than ten countries over two years.
Best eSIMs for Asia & the World (including Tajikistan)
So what if you plan to visit a neighboring Asian country?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo, Alosim, Holafly, or Nomad eSIMs in any country than Tajikistan.
Luckily, some of the eSIM providers mentioned so far do have eSIMs that can be used throughout most or all of Asia.
And there are also some global eSIMs with attractive prices that can be useful if you visit Asia and another continent or region.
I highly recommend these Asia or global eSIMs if you plan to visit multiple Asian countries to save money!
Airalo Discover Global eSIM
Airalo was probably the first eSIM provider to introduce a global eSIM, called Discover Global.
This eSIM can be used in 84+ countries, including Tajikistan, offering up to 3G reception and speeds in Tajikistan.
The Airalo Discover Global eSIM can be used in the following 84+ countries:
Åland Islands 1
- Argentina 1
- Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Cambodia (new)
- Cyprus 1
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic 1
- Ecuador 1
- Georgia 1
- Hong Kong
- Iraq 1
- Israel 1
- Jersey 1
- Kuwait 1
- Liechtenstein 1
- Macau 1
- Malaysia 1
- Moldova 1
- New Zealand
- North Macedonia
- Panama 1
- Paraguay 1
- Peru 1
- Puerto Rico
- Saudi Arabia
- Singapore 2
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka 3
- Sudan 1
- Tajikistan 1
- United Kingdom
- United States
- U.S. Virgin Islands
1 on 3G only
2 currently, newly bought Discover Global eSIMs cannot be used in Singapore. Airalo is working on re-including Singapore in its Discover Global offering
3 select the Dialog Sri Lanka network for 4G/LTE access. If you choose Hutch Sri Lanka instead, you will be restricted to 3G
You have these five Airalo Discover Global eSIMs:
- Discover 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 9 USD
- Discover+ 1 GB (with 10 minutes and 10 SMS) eSIM for 7 days, costing 15 USD
- Discover 2 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 17 USD
- Discover+ 2 GB (with 20 minutes and 20 SMS) eSIM for 15 days, costing 27 USD
- Discover 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 24 USD
- Discover+ 3 GB (with 30 minutes and 30 SMS) eSIM for 30 days, costing 36 USD
- Discover 5 GB eSIM for 60 days, costing 35 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Discover+ 5 GB (with 50 minutes and 50 SMS) eSIM for 60 days, costing 50 USD
- Discover 10 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 59 USD
- Discover+ 10 GB (with 100 minutes and 100 SMS) eSIM for 180 days, costing 79 USD
- Discover 20 GB eSIM for 365 days, costing 69 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Discover+ 20 GB (with 200 minutes and 200 SMS) eSIM for 365 days, costing 89 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
Note: Phone Travel Wiz reader popularity ranking was updated in September based on data up to the 7th of September (2023 data only).
Interested in using the Airalo Discover Global eSIM in another country or countries? Read my Airalo Discover Global eSIM review (tested in numerous countries and counting).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Tajikistan
So, we reviewed some eSIMs that can be used in Tajikistan.
I will give you a quick recap of each and link to their product pages in case you need more info or want to purchase an eSIM already (just remember the activation policies of Holafly – do not buy their eSIMs too early):
- Airalo Sarez Telecom eSIM (best value for money)
- Alosim Tajikistan eSIM (priced roughly the same as Airalo with a bit more options)
- Holafly Tajikistan eSIM (generous data eSIMs)
- Airalo Discover Global eSIM (reasonable global coverage (84+ countries) at attractive prices)
Remember to use code the relevant discount codes: PHONETRAVELWIZ (others).
Buying a SIM Card in Tajikistan
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting an Tajikistani SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!