Albania – the country that has, over the years, become a popular travel destination for travelers of all kinds.
Beaches, mountains, architecture – the country has it all.
There is a big chance that you would want to share your Albania experiences online – and I cannot blame you for that.
It is truly a remarkable travel destination.
Watching a YouTube video in full HD can cost you a lot.
Luckily, you can get an Albanian travel eSIM – that way, you can enjoy lower rates.
So, how much do Albanian (travel) eSIMs cost?
You can get an eSIM for Albania for as low as 8 USD up to 54 USD from Airalo (with Hej Telecom), Holafly & Nomad, offering between 1 GB and 6 GB.
There are some mobile operators who will charge you 100 USD for only 100 MB of roaming data, so these travel eSIM offers are much better than most international roaming deals.
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by the Albanian mobile operators, Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's get started.
Original publication: 29th of August 2022. Last updated: 24th of November 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Albanian Mobile Operators
In order to get the best performance out there, it is often recommended to go directly with the local mobile operators because you will get a higher priority on the network compared to roaming.
Unfortunately, none of the mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers in Albania (yet).
Note that the Albanian mobile operators require your identification (ID for EU/EEA travelers and passport for anyone else) for eSIMs and physical SIM cards as part of Albania's SIM card registration requirements.
And some travelers do not want to deal with any of that for privacy reasons.
Luckily, there is a way to avoid this registration scheme: by roaming (super expensive) or using a travel eSIM (affordable AND can be cheaper than local SIM cards in many countries).
Travel eSIM providers Airalo (with Hej Telecom), Holafly & Nomad offer attractive eSIMs for Albania, allowing them to be set up before arriving in Albania and activating them as soon as you land.
Very convenient, right? And I have used eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad before, and I can assure you they work well!
So let's check out all the options, shall we?
Airalo eSIMs for Albania (Hej Telecom)
Airalo eSIMs are my favorite travel eSIMs out there because they are always good value for money compared to other travel eSIM providers (especially travel eSIMs not mentioned in this guide).
And the same can be said for the Hej Telecom eSIM – 10 GB of data is available for only 36 USD.
The Hej Telecom eSIM uses the Vodafone Albania network, which is the best overall Albanian mobile operator (coverage and speed-wise).
So even if you go to some remote Albanian town, you will still have reception with the Hej Telecom eSIM.
Alright, you have four Albanian Hej Telecom eSIM options:
- Albania/Hej Telecom 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 8 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Albania/Hej Telecom 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 16 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Albania/Hej Telecom 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 24 USD
- Albania/Hej Telecom 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 36 USD
So yeah, they are really popular.
The Airalo links will automatically get you the available Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers – a code is unnecessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Honestly, the Hej Telecom eSIM gives you the best bang for your buck, and it is the eSIM I recommend the most for Albania.
Airalo Hej Telecom eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Hej Telecom eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Hej Telecom eSIM before arriving in Albania (and activate it upon landing)
- You can skip Albania's SIM card registration requirements
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Albania's best mobile operator – Vodafone Albania
- The eSIMs are affordable and have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Airalo though – there are some disadvantages.
Airalo Hej Telecom eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get the Hej Telecom eSIM?
- The Albanian mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to Vodafone Albania's network, the best in Albania, your speeds will not be as fast as going with Vodafone Albania itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Hej Telecom eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Hej Telecom eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Airalo gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit an Airalo store because there are none)
Airalo Hej Telecom eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Airalo Hej Telecom eSIM is a great eSIM offering a lot for the money you pay (especially compared to many non-EU countries).
You get fast speeds and access to the best Albanian network (Vodafone Albania) without standing in queues or dealing with SIM card registration bureaucracy.
But if making actual phone calls and sending real text messages are important to you (so not through an app like WhatsApp), you may want to buy an Albanian SIM card instead.
Holafly eSIMs for Albania
The second eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Albania… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only one Holafly Albania eSIM (which uses the Vodafone Albania network (as well) – the mobile operator with the best network and fastest speeds, by the way):
- Albania 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP
Not much choice, as you can see.
As I recently started my collaboration with Holafly, it offers 5% off each purchase whenever you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – how cool is that?
- Check out my Holafly eSIM reviews
Of course, there are some pros and cons with going with Holafly, so let's go over them.
Holafly Albania eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Albania eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Vodafone Albania's network – the best in Albania
- Unlike going with Vodafone Albania directly, you do not have to worry about SIM card registration because it is unnecessary
- You can activate your Holafly Albania eSIM as soon as you land in Albania
- The Holafly Albania eSIM offers the most data
But it is not all good news with Holafly though – there are some disadvantages.
Holafly Albania eSIM eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Holafly Albania eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Albania eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Albanian mobile operators, including Vodafone Albania, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to Vodafone Albania's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Vodafone Albania directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Albania eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Albania eSIM (yet)
Holafly Albania eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Albania eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Albania eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Albania.
But it still is not cheap.
Luckily, we still have one more Albania-specific travel eSIM to go through.
Nomad eSIMs for Albania
The last eSIM provider I recommend is Nomad.
The Nomad Albania eSIM uses the Truphone network, which is active in any country you can think of.
In Albania, it uses a combination of networks, allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always be connected!
Nomad is the most expensive in this guide.
That is because, unlike the other two eSIM providers, the Nomad Albania eSIM uses a combination of several Albanian networks (Vodafone Albania, One Telecommunications Albania (formerly Telekom Albania) & ALBtelecom (formerly Eagle Mobile Albania)), allowing you access to the best network at your location.
And for this feature, you pay a little more than Airalo, which only uses Vodafone Albania.
You have the following three options with Nomad:
- Albania 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/20 EUR/17 GBP/26 CAD
- Albania 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 48 USD/47.50 EUR/40 GBP/62 CAD
- Albania 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/53.50 EUR/45 GBP/69.50 CAD
By the way, you can get 3 USD off of your first Nomad purchase by using code ADU – how cool is that?
- Check out my Nomad eSIM reviews
Of course, going with Nomad has some pros and cons, so let's go over them.
Nomad Albania eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Nomad eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Nomad Albania eSIM before arriving in Albania (and activate it upon landing)
- You can skip Albania's SIM card registration requirements
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access on all Albanian networks, allowing you to have the best reception at all times
- The eSIMs have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Albania eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Nomad Albania eSIM?
- While you get access to four networks, your speeds will not be as fast as going with the Albanian mobile operators themselves because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Albania eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Albania eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Nomad gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit a Nomad store because there are none)
- Airalo is cheaper than Nomad with all variants
Nomad Albania eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad eSIM is a great premium eSIM offering.
You will always have the best reception because the Nomad because it automatically switches to the best network at your location.
However, just like the other travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide, you do not get a (local) phone number with the Nomad Albania eSIM.
Moreover, Nomad is not the cheapest option out there (that would be Airalo).
Best eSIMs for in Europe (not just Albania)
So what if you plan to visit neighboring Greece? Kosovo? North Macedonia? Or any other country in the European Union?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Hej Telecom, Holafly Albania, or Nomad Albania eSIMs in any country than Albania.
However, the three eSIM providers do have eSIMs covering all of the European Union and European Economic area + some other countries.
I highly recommend these Europe eSIMs if you plan to visit multiple European countries to save money!
The Eurolink eSIM is the most popular Airalo eSIM, per Phone Travel Wiz readers.
Most readers tend to visit multiple European countries, so they would rather have a travel eSIM covering multiple countries than just one (like Albania).
The Eurolink eSIM can be used in 39 countries in Europe, including all nations in the European Union (EU).
The eSIM can be used from Iceland to Ukraine and Norway to Spain.
Below is a complete overview of countries the Eurolink eSIM works in:
- Austria 2
- Belgium 2
- Bulgaria 2
- Croatia 2
- Cyprus 2
- Czech Republic
- Denmark 2
- Estonia 2
- Finland 2
- Gibraltar 1
- Greece 2
- Iceland 2
- Ireland 2
- Italy 2
- Latvia 2
- Luxembourg 2
- Malta 2
- Poland 2
- Romania 2
- Spain 2
- Sweden 2
- Switzerland 2
- United Kingdom 2
1 on 3G only
2 (limited) 5G NR availability at no additional cost! (list updated in December 2022)
With the Eurolink eSIM, you can save a lot of money by skipping the initial SIM card costs per country you visit – averaging 10.78 USD/country in Europe (and get 5G NR access at no additional cost)!
Below is an overview of how much each Eurolink eSIM costs:
- Europe/Eurolink 1 GB eSIM for 7 day, costing 5 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 20 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 37 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 50 GB eSIM for 90 days, costing 100 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 100 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 185 USD
Honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is my favorite Europe travel eSIM out there. Affordable, extensive & good value for your money.
I also used it during my 1-month tour throughout Europe in 12 countries.
- Check out my Airalo Eurolink eSIM review (tested in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Hungary, Greece, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia & Spain)
So yeah, you can say I have some experience with the Eurolink eSIM 😏.
Holafly & Nomad eSIMs for Europe
Holafly and Nomad also have eSIMs covering all of the European Union (and more).
But honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is superior (but you can consider the Holafly Europe eSIM if you want unlimited data in 30+ countries – just do not forget about code PHONETRAVELWIZ if you go with Holafly).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Albania
Unfortunately, none of the Albanian mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers.
But you still have to deal with SIM card registration regulations when you get their eSIMs.
Luckily, the travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide allow you to circumvent these laws (legally, of course!).
In terms of the travel eSIMs, this would be my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Hej Telecom Albania eSIM (best value for money)
- Airalo's Eurolink Europe eSIM (best value for money when also visiting other European countries)
- Holafly Albania eSIM (generous data allowance)
- Nomad Albania eSIM (switches to the best network, allowing for excellent reception at all times)
- Holafly Europe eSIM (truly unlimited data plans when also visiting other European countries at premium prices)
- Nomad Europe eSIM (the best of both worlds in terms of pricing and performance)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Albania
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting an Albanian SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!