Armenia – known for its cuisine, landscapes & history.
There are plenty of things you can do in Armenia.
From enjoying the beaches to exploring soviet-style monuments.
Lake Sevan is probably the most known place for beaches.
Republic Square in Yerevan has the very cool and impressive Republic Square and Matenadaran Library – two soviet-style monuments.
Jermuk has cool waterfalls and hotsprings.
As you can see, there is no reason to be bored in Armenia – and I just scratched the surface earlier.
If you use your current SIM card in Armenia, you would be charged excessive roaming rates.
One way to keep your costs low is by using a travel eSIM because international roaming can be crazy expensive.
Which is why using local and travel eSIMs is recommended to save money.
And if you get a travel eSIM, you do not have to deal with the SIM card registration bureaucracy and skip the queues in Armenia.
So, how much do Armenian (travel) eSIMs cost?
You can get an eSIM for Armenia for as low as 9 USD up to 54 USD from Airalo (with Arpi Telecom), Holafly & Nomad, offering between 1 GB and 8 GB.
There are some mobile operators who will charge you 100 USD for only 100 MB of roaming data, so these travel eSIM offers are much better than most international roaming deals.
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by the Armenian mobile operators, Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's get started.
Original publication: 1st of September 2022. Last updated: 29th of November 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Armenian Mobile Operators
In order to get the best performance out there, it is often recommended to go directly with the local mobile operators because you will get a higher priority on the network compared to roaming.
Unfortunately, none of the mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers in Armenia (yet).
Note that the Armenian mobile operators require your identification (ID for EU/EEA travelers and passport for anyone else) for eSIMs and physical SIM cards as part of Armenia's SIM card registration requirements.
And some travelers do not want to deal with any of that for privacy reasons.
Luckily, there is a way to avoid this registration scheme: by roaming (super expensive) or using a travel eSIM (affordable AND can be cheaper than local SIM cards in many countries).
Travel eSIM providers Airalo (with Arpi Telecom), Holafly & Nomad offer attractive eSIMs for Armenia, allowing them to be set up before arriving in Armenia and activating them as soon as you land.
Very convenient, right? And I have used eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad before, and I can assure you they work well!
So let's check out all the options, shall we?
Airalo eSIMs for Armenia (Arpi Telecom)
Airalo eSIMs are my favorite travel eSIMs out there because they are always good value for money compared to other travel eSIM providers (especially travel eSIMs not mentioned in this guide).
And the same can be said for the Arpi Telecom eSIM – 1 GB of data is available for only 9 USD.
The Arpi Telecom eSIM uses the Beeline Armenia network.
So, which Armenia Arpi Telecom eSIMs are available? You have this one option:
- Armenia/Arpi Telecom 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 9 USD
Not too bad, right? But not amazing either 💀.
Now, you may think this is a sad selection or that 1 GB of data is insufficient.
Both points are true… I agree – but you can make unlimited top-ups with the Arpi Telecom eSIM through the Airalo website or apps.
So if you need 5 GB of data, you can purchase the Arpi Telecom 1 GB eSIM and get four 1 GB top-ups.
Yes, it is a bit inconvenient for now; Airalo may offer 3 GB, 5 GB & 10 GB plans with a 30-day validity for Armenia soon, as it did for many other countries it supports.
The Airalo links will automatically get you the available Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers – a code is unnecessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Airalo Arpi Telecom eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Arpi Telecom eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can activate your Arpi Telecom eSIM as soon as you land in Armenia
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to the Beeline Armenia network
- Arpi Telecom eSIMs are affordable (especially compared to roaming) and have generous data allowances
- You do not have to worry about SIM card registration with the Arpi Telecom eSIM, saving you time
- Out of data? You can simply top up online on the Airalo website and not worry about language barriers when dealing with local agents
But it is not all good news with Airalo though – there are some disadvantages.
Airalo Arpi Telecom eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get the Arpi Telecom eSIM?
- The Armenian mobile operators, Beeline Armenia itself, have much more generous data allowances
- There is only one plan available, the 1 GB one, meaning you have to keep topping up when you are out of data instead of buying a larger data plan from the start
- There is no 5G NR access with the Joia eSIM (yet)
- While you get access to Beeline Armenia's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Beeline Armenia itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot call or text with the Arpi Telecom eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Airalo Arpi Telecom eSIM Overall Thoughts
Honestly, the Arpi Telecom eSIM is fine.
You get access to Beeline Armenia, without standing in queues or dealing with SIM card registration bureaucracy.
And everything, purchasing and topping up, can be done online on the Airalo website or Airalo app (downloading the app is recommended).
The main flaw, for now, is that you have to purchase multiple top-ups if you need more data than just 1 GB.
While getting a top-up is straightforward, some tourists, like myself, prefer to just buy one big data plan so that you do not have to worry about data allowances.
But besides that flaw, the Arpi Telecom eSIM is fine.
Remember, you cannot call or text with the Arpi Telecom eSIM, as it is a data-only eSIM.
But if making actual phone calls and sending real text messages are important to you (so not through an app like WhatsApp), you may want to buy an Armenian SIM card instead.
Holafly eSIMs for Armenia
The second eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Armenia… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only one Holafly Armenia eSIM (which uses the Beeline Armenia network (as well), by the way):
- Armenia 8 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 47 USD/49 EUR/34 GBP/69 AUD/64 CAD
Not much choice, as you can see.
As I recently started my collaboration with Holafly, it offers 5% off each purchase whenever you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – how cool is that?
- Check out my Holafly reviews
Of course, there are some pros and cons with going with Holafly, so let's go over them.
Holafly Armenia eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Armenia eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Beeline Armenia network
- You can activate your Holafly Armenia eSIM as soon as you land in Armenia
- The Holafly Armenia eSIM offers the most data
But it is not all good news with Holafly though – there are some disadvantages.
Holafly Armenia eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Holafly Armenia eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Armenia eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Armenian mobile operators, including Beeline Armenia, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to Beeline Armenia's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Beeline Armenia directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Armenia eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Armenia eSIM (yet)
Holafly Armenia eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Armenia eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Armenia eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Armenia.
But it still is not cheap.
Nomad eSIMs for Armenia
The last eSIM provider I recommend is Nomad.
Nomad is just in the middle.
But that does not mean Nomad is bad – not at all.
The Nomad Armenia eSIM uses the Truphone network, which is active in any country you can think of.
In Armenia, it uses a combination of networks, allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always be connected!
That is because, unlike the other two eSIM providers, the Nomad Armenia eSIM uses a combination of several Armenian networks (Viva-MTS Armenia, Beeline Armenia & Ucom Armenia), allowing you access to the best network at your location.
And for this feature, you pay a little more than Airalo, which only uses Beeline Armenia.
You have the following three options with Nomad:
- Armenia 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/19 EUR/17 GBP/27.50 CAD
- Armenia 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 48 USD/45.50 EUR/40 GBP/65.50 CAD
- Armenia 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/51 EUR /45 GBP/73.50 CAD
By the way, you can get 3 USD off of your first Nomad purchase by using code ADU – how cool is that?
- Check out my Nomad reviews
Of course, going with Nomad has some pros and cons, so let's go over them.
Nomad Armenia eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Nomad eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Nomad Armenia eSIM before arriving in Armenia (and activate it upon landing)
- You can skip Armenia's SIM card registration requirements
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access on all Armenian networks, allowing you to have the best reception at all times
- The eSIMs have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Armenia eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Nomad Armenia eSIM?
- While you get access to four networks, your speeds will not be as fast as going with the Armenian mobile operators themselves because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Armenia eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Armenia eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Nomad gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit a Nomad store because there are none)
- Airalo is cheaper than Nomad with all variants
Nomad Armenia eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad eSIM is a great premium eSIM offering.
You will always have the best reception because the Nomad because it automatically switches to the best network at your location.
However, just like the other travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide, you do not get a (local) phone number with the Nomad Armenia eSIM.
Moreover, Nomad is not the cheapest option out there (that would be Airalo).
Best eSIMs for in Europe (not just Armenia)
So what if you plan to visit neighboring Iran? Turkey? Or any other country in the European Union?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Arpi Telecom, Holafly Armenia, or Nomad Armenia eSIMs in any country than Armenia.
There are some eSIM providers do have eSIMs covering all of the European Union and European Economic area + some other countries.
Sadly, Armenia is not one of them, but I still want to introduce them to you because they will be much cheaper than buying multiple eSIMs, or SIM cards for that matter, per country.
I highly recommend these Europe eSIMs if you plan to visit multiple European countries to save money!
The Eurolink eSIM is the most popular Airalo eSIM, per Phone Travel Wiz readers.
Most readers tend to visit multiple European countries, so they would rather have a travel eSIM covering multiple countries than just one (like Armenia).
The Eurolink eSIM can be used in 39 countries in Europe, including all nations in the European Union (EU).
The eSIM can be used from Iceland to Ukraine and Norway to Spain.
Below is a complete overview of countries the Eurolink eSIM works in:
- Austria 2
- Belgium 2
- Bulgaria 2
- Croatia 2
- Cyprus 2
- Denmark 2
- Estonia 2
- Finland 2
- Gibraltar 1
- Greece 2
- Ireland 2
- Italy 2
- Latvia 2
- Luxembourg 2
- Malta 2
- Poland 2
- Romania 2
- Spain 2
- Sweden 2
- Switzerland 2
- United Kingdom 2
1 on 3G only
2 (limited) 5G NR availability at no additional cost!
With the Eurolink eSIM, you can save a lot of money by skipping the initial SIM card costs per country you visit – averaging 10.78 USD/country in Europe (and get 5G NR access at no additional cost)!
But, as you can see, this eSIM cannot be used in Armenia, so it would be useless here but useful in the aforementioned countries.
Below is an overview of how much each Eurolink eSIM costs:
- Europe/Eurolink 1 GB eSIM for 7 day, costing 5 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 20 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 37 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 50 GB eSIM for 90 days, costing 100 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 100 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 185 USD
Honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is my favorite Europe travel eSIM out there. Affordable, extensive & good value for your money.
I also used it during my 1-month tour throughout Europe in 12 countries.
- Check out my Airalo Eurolink eSIM review (tested in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Hungary, Greece, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia & Spain)
So yeah, you can say I have some experience with the Eurolink eSIM 😏.
Holafly & Nomad eSIMs for Europe
Holafly and Nomad also have eSIMs covering all of the European Union (and more).
This eSIM cannot be also used in Armenia but once again, it would be useful for the aforementioned countries listed above.
But honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is superior (but you can consider the Holafly Europe eSIM if you want unlimited data in 30+ countries – just do not forget about code PHONETRAVELWIZ if you go with Holafly).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Armenia
None of the Armenian mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers.
But you still have to deal with SIM card registration regulations when you get their eSIMs.
Luckily, the travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide allow you to circumvent these laws (legally, of course!).
In terms of the travel eSIMs, this would be my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Arpi Telecom Armenia eSIM (best value for money)
- Holafly Armenia eSIM (truly unlimited data plans at premium prices)
- Nomad Armenia eSIM (switches to the best network, allowing for excellent reception at all times)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Armenia
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting an Armenian SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!