Serbia – known for its culture, tasty cuisine, and nightlife.
Just like other Western Balkans nations, Serbia is rich in history.
From the Tesla Museum in Belgrade to the Niš Fortress in Niš.
Perhaps you are more into nature and would rather see the mountain and parks in Tara.
Or if you are a party-goer, you may just want to stay in Belgrade and live every night like it is your last one – just make sure they are not literally your last night.
As you can see, there is no reason to be bored.
You better make your friends jealous by sharing your Serbia experiences online.
The thing is, international roaming can be expensive.
Serbia is an inexpensive travel destination, so it would be a shame to make your trip expensive because you felt the need to roam.
Luckily, you do not have to. You can get a travel eSIM and enjoy low rates.
So, how much do Serbian (travel) eSIMs cost?
You can get an eSIM for – for as low as 5 USD up to 44 USD from Airalo (with Serbia Mobile), Holafly & Nomad, offering between 1 GB and 6 GB.
There are some mobile operators who will charge you 100 USD for only 100 MB of roaming data, so these travel eSIM offers are much better than most international roaming deals.
In this guide, I will go over the eSIM options offered by the Serbian mobile operators (Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor) and Globatel Serbia), Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's get started.
Original publication: 29th of August 2022. Last updated: 24th of November 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Serbian Mobile Operators
In order to get the best performance out there, it is often recommended to go directly with the local mobile operators because you will get a higher priority on the network compared to roaming.
Currently, Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor) and Globatel Serbia are the Serbian mobile operators offering eSIMs to prepaid customers.
Travel eSIM providers Airalo (with Serbia Mobile), Holafly & Nomad offer attractive eSIMs for Serbia, allowing them to be set up before arriving in Serbia and activating them as soon as you land.
Very convenient, right? And I have used eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad before, and I can assure you they work well!
So let's check out all the options, shall we?
Airalo eSIMs for Serbia (Serbia Mobile)
Airalo eSIMs are my favorite travel eSIMs out there because they are always good value for money compared to other travel eSIM providers (especially travel eSIMs not mentioned in this guide).
And the same can be said for the Serbia Mobile eSIM – 5 GB of data is available for only 21 USD.
The Serbia Mobile eSIM uses the Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor) network, which is the best overall Serbian mobile operator (coverage-wise).
So even if you go to some remote Serbian town, you will still have reception with the Serbia Mobile eSIM.
Alright, you have three Serbian Serbia Mobile eSIM options:
- Serbia/Serbia Mobile 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 5 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Serbia/Serbia Mobile 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Serbia/Serbia Mobile 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 21 USD
When I say that the 1 GB & 3 GB variants are loved by Phone Travel Wiz readers, all readers get either the 1 GB or 3 GB variants.
So yeah, they are really popular.
The Airalo links will automatically get you the available Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers – a code is unnecessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Honestly, the Serbia Mobile eSIM gives you the best bang for your buck, and it is the eSIM I recommend the most for Serbia.
Airalo Serbia Mobile eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Serbia Mobile eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Serbia Mobile eSIM before arriving in Serbia (and activate it upon landing)
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Serbia's best mobile operator – Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor)
- The eSIMs are affordable and have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Airalo though – there are some disadvantages.
Airalo Serbia Mobile eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get the Serbia Mobile eSIM?
- The Serbian mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to Yettel Serbia's network (formerly Telenor), the best in Serbia, your speeds will not be as fast as going with Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor) itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Serbia Mobile eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Serbia Mobile eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Airalo gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit an Airalo store because there are none)
Airalo Serbia Mobile eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Airalo Serbia Mobile eSIM is a great eSIM offering a lot for the money you pay (especially compared to many non-EU countries).
You get fast speeds and access to the best Serbian network (Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor)).
But if making actual phone calls and sending real text messages are important to you (so not through an app like WhatsApp), you may want to buy a Serbian SIM card instead.
Holafly eSIMs for Serbia
The second eSIM provider I recommend is Holafly.
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Serbia… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only one Holafly Serbia eSIM (which uses the AI Serbia network – the mobile operator with the fastest speeds, by the way):
- Serbia 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP
Not much choice, as you can see.
As I recently started my collaboration with Holafly, it offers 5% off each purchase whenever you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – how cool is that?
- Check out my Holafly eSIM reviews
Of course, there are some pros and cons with going with Holafly, so let's go over them.
Holafly Serbia eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Serbia eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to A1 Serbia's network – the fastest in Serbia
- You can activate your Holafly Serbia eSIM as soon as you land in Serbia
- The Holafly Serbia eSIM offers the most data
But it is not all good news with Holafly though – there are some disadvantages.
Holafly Serbia eSIM eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Holafly Serbia eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Serbia eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Serbian mobile operators, including A1 Serbia, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to A1 Serbia's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with A1 Serbia directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Serbia eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Serbia eSIM (yet)
Holafly Serbia eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Serbia eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Serbia eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Serbia.
But it still is not cheap.
Luckily, we still have one more Serbia-specific travel eSIM to go through.
Nomad eSIMs for Serbia
The last eSIM provider I recommend is Nomad.
The Nomad Serbia eSIM uses the Truphone network, which is active in any country you can think of.
In Serbia, it uses a combination of networks, allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always be connected!
Nomad is the most expensive in this guide.
That is because, unlike the other two eSIM providers, the Nomad Serbia eSIM uses a combination of several Serbian networks (MTS Serbia, Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor) & A1 Serbia), allowing you access to the best network at your location.
And for this feature, you pay a little more than Airalo, which only uses Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor).
You have the following three options with Nomad:
- Serbia 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/20 EUR/17 GBP/26 CAD
- Serbia 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 48 USD/47.50 EUR/40 GBP/62 CAD
- Serbia 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/53.50 EUR/45 GBP/69.50 CAD
By the way, you can get 3 USD off of your first Nomad purchase by using code ADU – how cool is that?
- Check out my Nomad eSIM reviews
Of course, going with Nomad has some pros and cons, so let's go over them.
Nomad Serbia eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Nomad eSIMs? Well, because of the following:
- You can purchase and set up your Nomad Serbia eSIM before arriving in Serbia (and activate it upon landing)
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access on all Serbian networks, allowing you to have the best reception at all times
- The eSIMs have generous data allowances
- You can avoid expensive international roaming fees
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Serbia eSIM Cons
So, why should you not get a Nomad Serbia eSIM?
- While you get access to four networks, your speeds will not be as fast as going with the Serbian mobile operators themselves because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Serbia eSIM
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Serbia eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- You cannot get in-person support (Nomad gets back to you by email fast, but you cannot visit a Nomad store because there are none)
- Airalo is cheaper than Nomad with all variants
Nomad Serbia eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad eSIM is a great premium eSIM offering.
You will always have the best reception because the Nomad because it automatically switches to the best network at your location.
However, just like the other travel eSIMs mentioned in this guide, you do not get a (local) phone number with the Nomad Serbia eSIM.
Moreover, Nomad is not the cheapest option out there (that would be Airalo).
Best eSIMs for in Europe (not just Serbia)
So what if you plan to visit neighboring Bulgaria? Hungary? Romania? Or any other country in the European Union?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Serbia Mobile, Holafly Serbia, or Nomad Serbia eSIMs in any country than Serbia.
However, the three eSIM providers do have eSIMs covering all of the European Union and European Economic area + some other countries.
I highly recommend these Europe eSIMs if you plan to visit multiple European countries to save money!
The Eurolink eSIM is the most popular Airalo eSIM, per Phone Travel Wiz readers.
Most readers tend to visit multiple European countries, so they would rather have a travel eSIM covering multiple countries than just one (like Serbia).
The Eurolink eSIM can be used in 39 countries in Europe, including all nations in the European Union (EU).
The eSIM can be used from Iceland to Ukraine and Norway to Spain.
Below is a complete overview of countries the Eurolink eSIM works in:
- Austria 2
- Belgium 2
- Bulgaria 2
- Croatia 2
- Cyprus 2
- Czech Republic
- Denmark 2
- Estonia 2
- Finland 2
- Gibraltar 1
- Greece 2
- Iceland 2
- Ireland 2
- Italy 2
- Latvia 2
- Luxembourg 2
- Malta 2
- Poland 2
- Romania 2
- Spain 2
- Sweden 2
- Switzerland 2
- United Kingdom 2
1 on 3G only
2 (limited) 5G NR availability at no additional cost! (list updated in December 2022)
With the Eurolink eSIM, you can save a lot of money by skipping the initial SIM card costs per country you visit – averaging 10.78 USD/country in Europe (and get 5G NR access at no additional cost)!
Below is an overview of how much each Eurolink eSIM costs:
- Europe/Eurolink 1 GB eSIM for 7 day, costing 5 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 13 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 20 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 37 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Europe/Eurolink 50 GB eSIM for 90 days, costing 100 USD
- Europe/Eurolink 100 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 185 USD
Honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is my favorite Europe travel eSIM out there. Affordable, extensive & good value for your money.
I also used it during my 1-month tour throughout Europe in 12 countries.
- Check out my Airalo Eurolink eSIM review (tested in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Hungary, Greece, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia & Spain)
So yeah, you can say I have some experience with the Eurolink eSIM 😏.
Holafly & Nomad eSIMs for Europe
Holafly and Nomad also have eSIMs covering all of the European Union (and more).
But honestly, the Eurolink eSIM is superior (but you can consider the Holafly Europe eSIM if you want unlimited data in 30+ countries – just do not forget about code PHONETRAVELWIZ if you go with Holafly).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Serbia
Yettel Serbia (formerly Telenor) and Globatel Serbia are the only Serbian mobile operators offering eSIMs to prepaid customers.
But we discussed several other options in this guide.
In terms of the travel eSIMs, this would be my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Serbia Mobile Serbia eSIM (best value for money)
- Airalo's Eurolink Europe eSIM (best value for money when also visiting other European countries)
- Holafly Serbia eSIM (generous data plans at premium prices)
- Nomad Serbia eSIM (switches to the best network, allowing for excellent reception at all times)
- Holafly Europe eSIM (truly unlimited data plans when also visiting other European countries at premium prices)
- Nomad Europe eSIM (the best of both worlds in terms of pricing and performance)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Serbia
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting a Serbian SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!