Fiji – often referred to as the South Pacific paradise. It is known for its friendly people, amazing tropical islands, and for its coral reefs.
The island nation is a popular honeymoon destination.
If you hate beaches and swimming, Fiji is not for you. With more than 300 islands, you are bound to spend a lot of time at the beach or near crystal clear waters.
But, the nation is not known for being an inexpensive travel destination.
In fact, even getting there can cost you a lot of money.
But before you share your colorful Fiji experiences online, be aware that international roaming can be expensive.
Travel eSIMs can be a much more affordable way to stay connected, even in Fiji.
How much will a travel eSIM for Fiji cost?
You can get a travel eSIM for Fiji for as little as 7.50 USD, with 1 GB for 7 days, up to 44 USD, for 6 GB, from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad.
While this may sound a bit pricey but international roaming will be even more expensive.
So yeah, these travel eSIMs can be worth it.
In this guide, I will go over the travel eSIM options offered by Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's go.
Original publication: 28th of September 2022. Last updated: 30th of November 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Fijian Mobile Operators
Suppose you want to get the best service and reception available in Fiji.
In that case, it is better to get a SIM card or travel eSIM from the local mobile operators, which in this case would be the Fijian ones.
Not only will you not have to deal with latency, but you also get a higher priority on the network because you are a direct customer of the mobile operator instead of a roamer.
And with most travel eSIMs, you are roaming on the network(s) of the local mobile operator(s).
But that is not always the case – the slow speeds part, that is.
Some mobile operators throttle the speeds of prepaid customers because they want more people to get a postpaid plan.
Unfortunately, travelers cannot get postpaid plans – so one way to avoid throttling is by using a travel eSIM.
Yes – travel eSIMs sometimes have faster speeds than native prepaid customers because of throttling.
So, which Fijian mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers?
Vodafone Fiji offers eSIMs to prepaid customers.
Besides Vodafone Fiji, you can also get eSIMs from Airalo (Vinaka Fiji eSIM), Holafly & Nomad.
One of the main advantages of getting a travel eSIM for Fiji is that you can set up the eSIM before arriving in Fiji and activate it upon landing.
I have to mention that travel eSIMs will be more expensive than local eSIMs and SIM cards, but they are more convenient.
Moreover, I have plenty of experience with the eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad, so I can vouch for them – so can many Phone Travel Wiz readers!
So let's go over what the travel eSIMs offer for Fiji!
Airalo eSIMs for Fiji (Vinaka Fiji)
If you have read any of my eSIM or SIM card buying guides before, then you know I am a big fan of Airalo.
Not only does Airalo have eSIMs for most countries (around 190 countries) of any eSIM platform, but they are also often one of the cheapest while offering fantastic service in terms of speeds and reception.
That is because Airalo usually partners up with the mobile operator with the best coverage, the fastest speeds, both, or even multiple operators.
That way, you get the best bang for your buck, I have to say.
In the case of Fiji, the Vinaka Fiji uses the Vodafone Fiji network.
So, which Fiji Vinaka Fiji eSIMs are available? You have these three options:
- FIji/Vinaka Fiji 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 7.50 USD
- Fiji/Vinaka Fiji 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 19.50 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Fiji/Vinaka Fiji 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 30 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
The Airalo links will automatically get you the available Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers – a code is unnecessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Airalo Vinaka Fiji eSIM Pros
Are there any (more) reasons why you should get the Vinaka Fiji eSIM? Yes, there are:
- You can activate your Vinaka Fiji eSIM as soon as you land in Fiji
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Vodafone Fiji
- Vinaka Fiji eSIMs are affordable (especially compared to roaming) and have generous data allowances
- You do not have to worry about SIM card registration with the Vinaka Fiji eSIM, saving you time
- Out of data? You can simply top up online on the Airalo website and not worry about language barriers when dealing with local agents
I could list many more pros, but these are the major ones.
Unfortunately, there are some cons to be aware of.
Airalo Vinaka Fiji eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Vinaka Fiji eSIM?
- The Fijian mobile operators, including Vodafone Fiji itself, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to Vodafone Fiji's network, your speeds will not be as fast as going with Vodafone Fiji itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Vinaka Fiji eSIM (yet)
- You cannot call or text with the Vinaka Fiji eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Airalo Vinaka Fiji eSIM Overall Thoughts
Honestly, the Vinaka Fiji eSIM is fantastic.
The plans offered with Vinaka Fiji eSIMs are generous and affordable.
You get fast speeds and access to Vodafone Fiji, without standing in queues or dealing with SIM card registration bureaucracy.
And everything, purchasing and topping up, can be done online on the Airalo website or Airalo app (downloading the app is recommended).
Unfortunately, you cannot call or text with the Vinaka Fiji eSIM, as it is a data-only eSIM.
Nomad eSIMs for Fiji
Nomad is one of the eSIM players on the market that managed to grow quickly.
That is because it is one of the few premium eSIM players out there, often using multiple partners to bring you the best coverage and speeds out there.
As a result, Nomad is often (slightly) more expensive than Airalo.
But good people run the company.
For example, upon my recommendation, it started offering the Nordics regional eSIM – an eSIM that can be used in Denmark, Finland, Sweden & Norway.
And many more regional eSIMs are coming – I can promise you that!
Anyway, what did I mean with “often using multiple partners to bring you the best coverage and speeds out there” earlier?
In Fiji, Nomad uses the Truphone network, which uses a combination of local networks (Vodafone Fiji & Digicel Fiji), allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always have a connection (unless you are in the middle of a jungle, of course 🤪).
You have the following three options with Nomad for Fiji:
- Fiji 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/19 EUR/17 GBP/27.50 CAD
- Fiji 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 48 USD/45.50 EUR /40 GBP/65.50 CAD
- Fiji 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/51 EUR/45 GBP/73.50 CAD
Use code ADU123 for the best deals available when getting Nomad eSIMs (on the site or their apps) and get 3 USD/2.85 EUR/2.45 GBP/4.10 CAD off (even on top of current promotions)!
And, of course, just like the Airalo Vinaka Fiji eSIM, you can also top up your Nomad Fiji eSIM on the Nomad site or apps.
- Check out my Nomad reviews
Nomad Fiji eSIM Pros
Are there any (more) reasons why you should get the Nomad Fiji? Yes:
- SIM card registration and bureaucracy? Skip that with the Nomad Fiji eSIM, saving you time
- You can activate your Nomad Fiji eSIM as soon as you land in Fiji
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to multiple Fijian networks, allowing you to always have the best coverage and speeds
- Nomad Fiji eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- Nomad offers the most options (three) and longest validity (30 days) of any travel eSIM in this guide
- Multiple top-ups can be purchased when you are out of data or when your initial plan expires easily on the Nomad site or apps
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Fiji eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Nomad Fiji eSIM?
- Fijian mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to multiple Fijian networks, your speeds may not be as fast as going with the mobile operators directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- Nomad has the most expensive plans for Fiji in this guide
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Fiji eSIM (yet)
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Fiji eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Nomad Fiji eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad Fiji eSIM is an excellent premium eSIM offering the most options and longest validity in this guide.
And because the Nomad Fiji eSIM uses multiple networks, you will always have the best reception when traveling around Fiji.
The main con is that Nomad has the most expensive options in this guide.
And you cannot make calls and send SMS with the Nomad Fiji eSIM because it is a data-only eSIM.
Holafly eSIMs for Fiji
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Fiji… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only one Holafly Fiji eSIM (which uses the Digicel Fiji network, by the way):
- Fiji 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP/67 AUD/59 CAD
Not much choice, as you can see.
Even better, you can get 5% off each and any Holafly purchase (so it does not have to be the Fiji eSIM) when you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – fantastic, right?
- Check out my Holafly reviews
Holafly Fiji eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly Fiji eSIM? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Fiji eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Digicel Fiji
- Unlike going with Digicel Fiji directly, you do not have to worry about SIM card registration because it is unnecessary
- You can activate your Holafly Fiji eSIM as soon as you land in Fiji
- The Holafly Fiji eSIM offers the most data
Holafly Fiji eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Holafly Fiji eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Fiji eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Fijian mobile operators, including Digicel Fiji, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to Digicel Fiji's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Digicel Fiji directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Fiji eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Fiji eSIM (yet)
Holafly Fiji eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Fiji eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Fiji eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Fiji.
But it still is not cheap.
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Fiji (Airalo vs. Holafly vs. Nomad)
In this guide, I went over various eSIMs Fiji.
Below is an overview of my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Fiji Vinaka Fiji eSIM (cheapest)
- Holafly Fiji eSIM (most generous data plan)
- Nomad Fiji eSIM (most eSIM options)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Fiji
Do these eSIMs not sound appealing to you, or does your phone not support eSIMs (but still thought this guide was insightful enough that you read it until the end)?
Consider getting a Fijian SIM card instead – that linked guide is the most extensive SIM card buying guide for Fiji on the web, packed with insightful information and tips.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!