Guatemala – known for its incredible volcanic landscape, the Mayan culture & stunning lakes.
While some countries lack green nature (such as forests), the name Guatemala means the place of many trees.
Guatemala lives up to that definition.
But what can you do in this country? A lot.
There are plenty of cool hiking trails to and around volcanoes.
You can also chill and swim in plenty of lakes, such as the Natural Monument Semuc Champey.
Or explore Ancient Mayan cities, like Tikal, and explore pyramid rules.
Being bored in Guatemala? No way!
But before you share your colorful Guatemala experiences online, be aware that international roaming can be expensive.
Travel eSIMs can be a much more affordable way to stay connected, even in Guatemala.
How much will a travel eSIM for Guatemala cost?
You can get a travel eSIM for Guatemala for as little as 7.50 USD, with 1 GB for 7 days, up to 54 USD, for 5 GB, from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad.
While this may sound a bit pricey but international roaming will be even more expensive.
So yeah, these travel eSIMs can be worth it.
In this guide, I will go over the travel eSIM options offered by Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's go.
Original publication: 10th of September 2022. Last updated: 10th of September 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Guatemalan Mobile Operators
Suppose you want to get the best service and reception available in Guatemala.
In that case, it is better to get a SIM card or travel eSIM from the local mobile operators, which in this case would be the Guatemalan ones.
Not only will you not have to deal with latency, but you also get a higher priority on the network because you are a direct customer of the mobile operator instead of a roamer.
And with most travel eSIMs, you are roaming on the network(s) of the local mobile operator(s).
But that is not always the case – the slow speeds part, that is.
Some mobile operators throttle the speeds of prepaid customers because they want more people to get a postpaid plan.
Unfortunately, travelers cannot get postpaid plans – so one way to avoid throttling is by using a travel eSIM.
Yes – travel eSIMs sometimes have faster speeds than native prepaid customers because of throttling.
So, which Guatemalan mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers?
Unfortunately, none of the mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers.
Fortunatey, though, you have three options for getting an eSIM for your trip to Guatemala: Airalo (with Tikal Mobile), Holafly & Nomad
One of the main advantages of getting a travel eSIM for Guatemala is that (1) you do not have to try to speak (broken) Spanish to get a local eSIM, (2) you can set up the eSIM before arriving in Guatemala and activate it upon landing & (3) you do not have to deal with Guatemala's SIM card registration laws.
I have to mention that travel eSIMs will be more expensive than local eSIMs and SIM cards, but they are more convenient.
Moreover, I have plenty of experience with the eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad, so I can vouch for them – so can many Phone Travel Wiz readers!
So let's go over what the travel eSIMs offer for Guatemala!
Airalo eSIMs for Guatemala (Tikal Mobile)
If you have read any of my eSIM or SIM card buying guides before, then you know I am a big fan of Airalo.
Not only does Airalo have eSIMs for most countries (around 190 countries) of any eSIM platform, but they are also often one of the cheapest while offering fantastic service in terms of speeds and reception.
That is because Airalo usually partners up with the mobile operator with the best coverage, the fastest speeds, both, or even multiple operators.
That way, you get the best bang for your buck, I have to say.
In the case of Guatemala, Tikal Mobile uses the Claro Guatemala and Tigo Guatemala networks.
So, which Guatemala Tikal Mobile eSIMs are available? You have two options:
- Guatemala/Tikal Mobile 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 7.50 USD
- Guatemala/Tikal Mobile 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 21 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
What do I mean with most popular?
75% of Phone Travel Wiz readers get the 3 GB Tikal Mobile eSIM.
The rest (25%) get the 1 GB variant.
For Airalo eSIMs, the links above will automatically get you the Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers available – a code is not necessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Airalo Tikal Mobile eSIM Pros
Are there any (more) reasons why you should get the Tikal Mobile eSIM? Yes, there are:
- You can activate your Tikal Mobile eSIM as soon as you land in Guatemala
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Claro Guatemala's and Tigo Guatemala's networks
- Tikal Mobile eSIMs are affordable (especially compared to roaming)
- SIM card registration is not a thing you have to worry about with the Tikal Mobile eSIM, saving you time
- Multiple top-ups can be purchased when you are out of data or when your initial plan expires easily on the Airalo site or apps
I could list many more pros, but these are the major ones.
Unfortunately, there are some cons to be aware of.
Airalo Tikal Mobile eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Tikal Mobile eSIM?
- The Guatemalan mobile operators, including Claro Guatemala and Tigo Guatemala themselves, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to Claro Guatemala's & Tigo Guatemala's networks, your speeds may not be as fast as going with the two aforementioned networks because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Tikal Mobile eSIM (yet)
- You cannot call or text with the Tikal Mobile eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Airalo Tikal Mobile eSIM Overall Thoughts
The Tikal Mobile eSIM is a convenient eSIM that can be purchased before going to Guatemala and can be activated upon arriving.
You get access to one of Guatemala's best networks with the Tikal Mobile eSIM.
And everything, purchasing and topping up, can be done online on the Airalo website or Airalo app (downloading the app is recommended).
Remember, you cannot call or text with the Tikal Mobile eSIM, as it is a data-only eSIM.
Nomad eSIMs for Guatemala
Nomad is one of the eSIM players on the market that managed to grow quickly.
That is because it is one of the few premium eSIM players out there, often using multiple partners to bring you the best coverage and speeds out there.
As a result, Nomad is often (slightly) more expensive than Airalo.
But good people run the company.
For example, upon my recommendation, it started offering the Nordics regional eSIM – an eSIM that can be used in Denmark, Finland, Sweden & Norway.
And many more regional eSIMs are coming – I can promise you that!
Anyway, what did I mean with “often using multiple partners to bring you the best coverage and speeds out there” earlier?
In Guatemala, Nomad uses the Truphone network, which uses a combination of local networks (Claro Guatemala & Tigo Guatemala), allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always have a connection (unless you are in the middle of a jungle, of course 🤪).
You have the following three options with Nomad for Guatemala:
- Guatemala 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/20.50 EUR/17.50 GBP/26.50 CAD
- Guatemala 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 48 USD/48.50 EUR/41 GBP/63 CAD
- Guatemala 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/54.50 EUR/46.50 GBP/70.50 CAD
Now, these prices are significantly higher when looking at the Airalo Guatemala Tikal Mobile eSIM, especially the 1 GB variant.
And I can tell you that Phone Travel Wiz readers do not get the 1 GB or 3 GB variants at all – they too costly.
However, the readers who get the Nomad Guatemala eSIM go for the 5 GB variant.
But you can get 3 USD off your first Nomad purchase when using code ADU123!
I am looking out for you there 😏.
And, of course, just like the Airalo Guatemala Tikal Mobile eSIM, you can also top up your Nomad Guatemala eSIM on the Nomad site or apps.
- Check out my Nomad eSIM reviews
Nomad Guatemala eSIM Pros
Are there any (more) reasons why you should get the Nomad Guatemala? Yes:
- SIM card registration and bureaucracy? Skip that with the Nomad Guatemala eSIM, saving you time
- You can activate your Nomad Guatemala eSIM as soon as you land in Guatemala
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to multiple Guatemalan networks, allowing you to always have the best coverage and speeds
- Nomad Guatemala eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- Nomad offers the most options (three) and longest validity (30 days) of any travel eSIM in this guide
- Multiple top-ups can be purchased when you are out of data or when your initial plan expires easily on the Nomad site or apps
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Guatemalan eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Nomad Guatemala eSIM?
- Guatemalan mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to multiple Guatemalan networks, your speeds may not be as fast as going with the mobile operators directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- Nomad has the most expensive plans for Guatemala in this guide
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Guatemala eSIM (yet)
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Guatemala eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Nomad Guatemala eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad Guatemala eSIM is an excellent premium eSIM offering the most options and longest validity in this guide.
And because the Nomad Guatemala eSIM uses multiple networks, you will always have the best reception when traveling around Guatemala.
The main con is that Nomad has the most expensive options in this guide.
And you cannot make calls and send SMS with the Nomad Guatemala eSIM because it is a data-only eSIM.
Holafly eSIMs for Guatemala
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Guatemala… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only one Holafly Guatemala eSIM (which uses the Claro Guatemala network):
Not much choice, as you can see.
You can get 5% off each and any Holafly purchase (so it does not have to be the Guatemala eSIM) when you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – fantastic, right?
- Check out my Holafly eSIM reviews
Holafly Guatemala eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly Guatemala eSIM? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Guatemala eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Claro Guatemala's network – the best in Guatemala
- Unlike going with Claro Guatemala directly, you do not have to worry about SIM card registration because it is unnecessary
- You can activate your Holafly Guatemala eSIM as soon as you land in Guatemala
- The Holafly Guatemala eSIM offers the most data
Holafly Guatemala eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Holafly Guatemala eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Guatemala eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Guatemalan mobile operators, including Claro Guatemala, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to Claro Guatemala's network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Claro Guatemala directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Guatemala eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Guatemala eSIM (yet)
Holafly Guatemala eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Guatemala eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Guatemala eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Guatemala.
But it still is not cheap.
Best eSIMs for in Central- and South America (not just Guatemala)
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Tikal Mobile, Holafly Guatemala, or Nomad Guatemala eSIMs in any country than Guatemala.
However, Holafly has an eSIM covering the popular travel destinations in Central- and South America, including Guatemala.
I highly recommend going with the Holafly South America eSIM, which also covers parts of Central America, if you plan on visiting multiple countries in the Americas, as you will save a lot of money when you do so.
Holafly Central- and South America eSIM
While Holafly officially calls this eSIM the South America eSIM, it can also be used in a few countries in Central America.
And as many Phone Travel Wiz readers who visit Guatemala also visit neighboring countries, it will be better to get the Holafly South America eSIM for your travels.
The Holafly South America eSIM can be used in the following 13 countries:
You only have one option for the Holafly South America eSIM: 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP.
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Guatemala (Airalo vs. Holafly vs. Nomad)
In this guide, I went over various eSIMs Guatemala.
Below is an overview of my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Guatemala Tikal Mobile eSIM (cheapest)
- Holafly Guatemala eSIM (most generous data plan)
- Nomad Guatemala eSIM (most eSIM options)
- Holafly's South America eSIM (best value for money when also visiting other Central- and South American countries)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Guatemala
Do these eSIMs not sound appealing to you, or does your phone not support eSIMs (but still thought this guide was insightful enough that you read it until the end)?
Consider getting a Guatemalan SIM card instead – that linked guide is the most extensive SIM card buying guide for Guatemala on the web, packed with insightful information and tips.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!