Honduras – meaning depths in Spanish, is known for its natural resources. From fruit, coffee, or minerals, Honduras is rich in it.
Next to the Caribbean Sea on the north and east of the country and the Gulf of Fonseca in the southwest, there are plenty of beaches in Honduras.
Not only that, but it is also full of Reserves, like Río Plátano Biophese, and many rainforests; there are many things to experience when in Honduras.
And you probably want to share your travel experiences online with your friends and family, which you should.
But before you share your colorful Honduras experiences online, be aware that international roaming can be expensive.
Travel eSIMs can be a much more affordable way to stay connected, even in Honduras.
How much will a travel eSIM for Honduras cost?
You can get a travel eSIM for Honduras for as little as 9 USD, with 1 GB for 7 days, up to 54 USD, for 5 GB, from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad.
While this may sound a bit pricey but international roaming will be even more expensive.
So yeah, these travel eSIMs can be worth it.
In this guide, I will go over the travel eSIM options offered by Airalo, Holafly & Nomad. Let's go.
Original publication: 14th of September 2022. Last updated: 29th of November 2022.
Table of Contents
eSIMs offered by the Honduran Mobile Operators
Suppose you want to get the best service and reception available in Honduras.
In that case, it is better to get a SIM card or travel eSIM from the local mobile operators, which in this case would be the Honduran ones.
Not only will you not have to deal with latency, but you also get a higher priority on the network because you are a direct customer of the mobile operator instead of a roamer.
And with most travel eSIMs, you are roaming on the network(s) of the local mobile operator(s).
But that is not always the case – the slow speeds part, that is.
Some mobile operators throttle the speeds of prepaid customers because they want more people to get a postpaid plan.
Unfortunately, travelers cannot get postpaid plans – so one way to avoid throttling is by using a travel eSIM.
Yes – travel eSIMs sometimes have faster speeds than native prepaid customers because of throttling.
So, which Honduran mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers?
Unfortunately, none of the mobile operators offer eSIMs to prepaid customers
BUT, you have three options for getting an eSIM for your trip to Honduras: Airalo (with Honnet), Holafly & Nomad.
One of the main advantages of getting a travel eSIM for Honduras is that (1) you do not have to try to speak (broken) Spanish to get a local eSIM, (2) you can set up the eSIM before arriving in Honduras and activate it upon landing & (3) you do not have to deal with Honduras' SIM card registration laws.
I have to mention that travel eSIMs will be more expensive than local eSIMs and SIM cards, but they are more convenient.
Moreover, I have plenty of experience with the eSIMs from Airalo, Holafly & Nomad, so I can vouch for them – so can many Phone Travel Wiz readers!
So let's go over what the travel eSIMs offer for Honduras!
Airalo eSIMs for Honduras (Honnet)
If you have read any of my eSIM or SIM card buying guides before, then you know I am a big fan of Airalo.
Not only does Airalo have eSIMs for most countries (around 190 countries) of any eSIM platform, but they are also often one of the cheapest while offering fantastic service in terms of speeds and reception.
That is because Airalo usually partners up with the mobile operator with the best coverage, the fastest speeds, both, or even multiple operators.
That way, you get the best bang for your buck, I have to say.
In the case of Honduras, the Honnet uses the Tigo Honduras network — which has the best 4G/LTE availability & coverage
So, which Honduras Honnet eSIMs are available? You have this one option:
- Honduras/Honnet 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 9 USD
Now, you may think this is a sad selection or that 1 GB of data is insufficient.
Both points are true… I agree – but you can make unlimited top-ups with the Honnet eSIM through the Airalo website or apps.
So if you need 5 GB of data, you can purchase the Honnet 1 GB eSIM and get four 1 GB top-ups.
Yes, it is a bit inconvenient for now; Airalo may offer 3 GB, 5 GB & 10 GB plans with a 30-day validity for Honduras soon, as it did for many other countries it supports.
The Airalo links will automatically get you the available Phone Travel Wiz exclusive offers – a code is unnecessary.
- Check out my Airalo eSIM reviews
Airalo Honnet eSIM Pros
Are there any (more) reasons why you should get the Honnet eSIM? Yes, there are:
- You can activate your Honnet eSIM as soon as you land in Honduras
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Tigo Honduras' network — which has the best coverage and availability
- Honnet eSIMs are affordable (especially compared to roaming)
- SIM card registration is not a thing you have to worry about with the Honnet eSIM, saving you time
- Multiple top-ups can be purchased when you are out of data or when your initial plan expires easily on the Airalo site or apps
I could list many more pros, but these are the major ones.
Unfortunately, there are some cons to be aware of.
Airalo Honnet eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Honnet eSIM?
- The Honduran mobile operators, including Tigo Honduras itself, have much more generous data allowances
- There is only one plan available, the 1 GB one, meaning you have to keep topping up when you are out of data instead of buying a larger data plan from the start
- While you get access to Tigo Honduras' network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Tigo Honduras itself because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- There is no 5G NR access with the Honnet eSIM (yet)
- You cannot call or text with the Honnet eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Airalo Honnet eSIM Overall Thoughts
The Honnet eSIM is a convenient eSIM that can be purchased before going to Honduras and can be activated upon arriving.
You get access to one of Honduras' best networks with the Honnet eSIM.
The main flaw, for now, is that you have to purchase multiple top-ups if you need more data than just 1 GB.
While getting a top-up is straightforward, some tourists, like myself, prefer to just buy one big data plan so that you do not have to worry about data allowances.
But besides that flaw, Honnet eSIM is fine.
Remember, you cannot call or text with the Honnet eSIM, as it is a data-only eSIM.
Nomad eSIMs for Honduras
Nomad is one of the eSIM players on the market that managed to grow quickly.
That is because it is one of the few premium eSIM players out there, often using multiple partners to bring you the best coverage and speeds out there.
As a result, Nomad is often (slightly) more expensive than Airalo.
But good people run the company.
For example, upon my recommendation, it started offering the Nordics regional eSIM – an eSIM that can be used in Denmark, Finland, Sweden & Norway.
And many more regional eSIMs are coming – I can promise you that!
Anyway, what did I mean with “often using multiple partners to bring you the best coverage and speeds out there” earlier?
In Honduras, Nomad uses the Truphone network, which uses a combination of local networks (Claro Honduras & Tigo Honduras), allowing your eSIM to switch to the network with the best reception automatically.
This way, you will always have a connection (unless you are in the middle of a jungle, of course 🤪).
You have the following three options with Nomad for Honduras:
- Honduras 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 20 USD/20 EUR/17 GBP/26 CAD
- Honduras 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 48 USD/47 EUR/40 GBP/62 CAD
- Honduras 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 54 USD/53 EUR/45 GBP/70 CAD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
Now, these prices are significantly higher when looking at the Airalo Honduras Honnet eSIM, especially the 1 GB variant.
And I can tell you that Phone Travel Wiz readers do not get the 1 GB or 3 GB variants at all – they too costly.
However, the readers who get the Nomad Honduras eSIM go for the 5 GB variant.
Mostly because the Airalo Honduras Honnet eSIM has only the 1 GB version, which requires multiple top-ups if you want more data and has a 7-day validity.
And, unlike the Honnet eSIM, the Nomad Honduras uses multiple networks instead of just one (Tigo Honduras), giving you much better coverage and faster speeds.
So that is why many Phone Travel Wiz readers do not mind spending 6 USD more for the Nomad Honduras eSIM than the Honnet eSIM (9 USD) with four top-ups to get 5 GB of data (4 * 9 USD).
Wait… only 6 USD more? Is 54 USD – 45 USD not 9 USD?
That is correct (and you are paying attention!), but you can get 3 USD/2.85 EUR/2.45 GBP/4.10 CAD off your first Nomad purchase when using code ADU123!
I am looking out for you there 😏.
And, of course, just like the Airalo Honduras Honnet eSIM, you can also top up your Nomad Honduras eSIM on the Nomad site or apps.
- Check out my Nomad reviews
Nomad Honduras eSIM Pros
Are there any (more) reasons why you should get the Nomad Honduras? Yes:
- SIM card registration and bureaucracy? Skip that with the Nomad Honduras eSIM, saving you time
- You can activate your Nomad Honduras eSIM as soon as you land in Honduras
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to multiple Honduran networks, allowing you to always have the best coverage and speeds
- Nomad Honduras eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- Nomad offers the most options (three) and longest validity (30 days) of any travel eSIM in this guide
- Multiple top-ups can be purchased when you are out of data or when your initial plan expires easily on the Nomad site or apps
But it is not all good news with Nomad though – there are some disadvantages.
Nomad Honduras eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Nomad Honduras eSIM?
- Honduran mobile operators have much more generous data allowances
- While you get access to multiple Honduran networks, your speeds may not be as fast as going with the mobile operators directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- Nomad has the most expensive plans for Honduras in this guide
- There is no 5G NR access with the Nomad Honduras eSIM (yet)
- You cannot call or text with the Nomad Honduras eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
Nomad Honduras eSIM Overall Thoughts
Overall, the Nomad Honduras eSIM is an excellent premium eSIM offering the most options and longest validity in this guide.
And because the Nomad Honduras eSIM uses multiple networks, you will always have the best reception when traveling around Honduras.
The main con is that Nomad has the most expensive options in this guide.
And you cannot make calls and send SMS with the Nomad Honduras eSIM because it is a data-only eSIM.
If 1 GB for 7 days is not enough and you do not want to pay 54 USD for 5 GB of data, then you have one more option…
Holafly eSIMs for Honduras
My relationship with Holafly is quite funny.
I knew they existed when they offered travel SIM cards for the Spanish market only.
Then they pivoted to the global market, still offering travel SIM cards.
Eventually, they started offering travel eSIMs for the Spanish market only again before going global.
There are many travel eSIM providers nowadays – new ones pop up every week like mushrooms, so I did not bat an eye.
Until they did something revolutionary.
In 2022, Holafly started offering unlimited data plans for its eSIMs.
And these unlimited data eSIMs can be used in various Asian countries, almost all European Union member states (except for Liechtenstein) & a few other countries, like Canada and the United States.
Unfortunately, unlimited data eSIMs are not available in Honduras… yet.
I say yet because Holafly's goal is to offer unlimited data plans for every country it covers: 100+ countries.
And I can tell you that I get positive emails multiple times a week from Phone Travel Wiz readers that have used the unlimited data plans in East- and Southeast Asia, Europe & North America; they love these eSIMs.
For now, you have only one Holafly Honduras eSIM (which uses the Claro Honduras network – the mobile operator with the fastest speeds & best general availability, by the way):
- Honduras 6 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 44 USD/47 EUR/34 GBP/67 AUD/59 CAD
Not much choice, as you can see.
But the Holafly Honduras eSIM gives you the most data of any travel eSIM mentioned in this guide (Airalo: 1 GB & Nomad: 1 GB/3 GB/5 GB) AND is cheaper than the others when looking at the 5 GB and 6 GB segment (Airalo: 6 * 9 USD (1 GB) = 54 USD & Nomad: 1 * 54 USD (5 GB) + 1 * 20 USD (1 GB) = 74 USD).
Even better, you can get 5% off each and any Holafly purchase (so it does not have to be the Honduras eSIM) when you use code PHONETRAVELWIZ – fantastic, right?
- Check out my Holafly reviews
Holafly Honduras eSIM Pros
So, why should you get the Holafly Honduras eSIM? Well, because of the following:
- Holafly Honduras eSIMs are affordable compared to roaming
- You get full (up to 4G/LTE) access to Claro Honduras' network – the best in Honduras
- Unlike going with Claro Honduras directly, you do not have to worry about SIM card registration because it is unnecessary
- You can activate your Holafly Honduras eSIM as soon as you land in Honduras
- The Holafly Honduras eSIM offers the most data
Holafly Honduras eSIM Cons
Why should you not get the Holafly Honduras eSIM?
- You cannot call or text with the Holafly Honduras eSIM (nor can you receive them – you get no (local) phone number)
- Honduran mobile operators, including Claro Honduras, have much more generous data allowances
- While you get full (4G/LTE) access to Claro Honduras' network, your speeds may not be as fast as going with Claro Honduras directly because you will be roaming on their networks (and not be a native customer)
- You cannot top up your Holafly Honduras eSIM – you would have to buy another eSIM if you need more data
- There is no 5G NR access with the Holafly Honduras eSIM (yet)
Holafly Honduras eSIM Overall Thoughts
While you have only one option for the Holafly Honduras eSIM, it is the most generous eSIM (in terms of data) in this guide.
And the price for the Holafly Honduras eSIM is low compared to expensive Pay As You Go roaming rates for Honduras.
But it still is not cheap.
Best eSIMs for in Central- and South America (not just Honduras)
Unfortunately, you cannot use your Airalo Honnet, Holafly Honduras, or Nomad Honduras eSIMs in any country than Honduras.
However, Airalo has a new eSIM covering popular travel destinations in Central- and South America.
I highly recommend going with the Airalo Latamlink eSIM, which covers almost all of Central- and South America, if you plan on visiting multiple countries in the Americas, as you will save a lot of money when you do so.
The Eurolink eSIM is the most popular eSIM for Phone Travel readers, and the revamped Asialink eSIM has become popular quickly, so I have no doubt that the Latamlink eSIM will be popular too.
Just like in Asia and Europe, many readers tend to visit multiple Latin American countries, so they would rather have a travel eSIM covering multiple countries than just one (like Uruguay).
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- French Guiana
Below is an overview of how much each Latamlink eSIM costs:
- Latin America/Latamlink 1 GB eSIM for 1 day, costing 5 USD
- Latin America/Latamlink 2 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 28 USD
- Latin America/Latamlink 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 39 USD
- Latin America/Latamlink 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 60 USD
With the Latamlink eSIM, you can save a lot of money by skipping the initial SIM card costs per country you visit.
Holafly also has an eSIM covering most of Latin America.
But honestly, the Latamlink eSIM is superior (but you can consider the Holafly South America eSIM if you want a bit more data (6 GB) for a shorter validity (15 days) for fewer countries (13 vs. 19) – just do not forget about code PHONETRAVELWIZ if you go with Holafly).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for Honduras (Airalo vs. Holafly vs. Nomad)
In this guide, I went over various eSIMs Honduras.
Below is an overview of my recommendation order:
- Airalo's Honduras Honnet eSIM (cheapest)
- Airalo's Latamlink eSIM (can be used in 19 Latin American countries)
- Holafly Honduras eSIM (most generous data plan)
- Nomad Honduras eSIM (most eSIM options)
Remember to use code PHONETRAVELWIZ for Holafly eSIMs and code ADU123 for Nomad eSIMs – a code is not necessary for Airalo eSIM purchases.
Buying a SIM Card in Honduras
Do these eSIMs not sound appealing to you, or does your phone not support eSIMs (but still thought this guide was insightful enough that you read it until the end)?
Consider getting a Honduran SIM card instead – that linked guide is the most extensive SIM card buying guide for Honduras on the web, packed with insightful information and tips.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!