That agreement was implemented 8 months later.
Formerly part of Yugoslavia, like all West Balkan countries, it is a cheap travel destination.
With cheap but tasty food, affordable accommodation & relatively safe, it is understandable why the country attracts many tourists.
From a rich history to impressive mountains, North Macedonia has a lot to see and explore.
You probably want to share your experience online to show off… I meant to share your travels, which you should – it is your trip overall.
However, you should know that international roaming can be super expensive.
Some travelers come back home in a good mood only for it to be ruined by an excessive international roaming bill – do not let this happen to you.
Luckily, there is one way to stay connected for low rates, which is by getting a travel eSIM.
This way, you can enjoy low rates.
So, how much do North Macedonian (travel) eSIMs cost?
You can get an eSIM for North Macedonia for as low as 7.50 USD and up to 55 USD from Airalo and Alosim offering between 1 GB and 10 GB to be used locally, in Europe, or globally.
Original publication: 30th of August 2022. Last updated: 27th of October 2023.
Table of Contents
In a Hurry? A Quick Introduction (+Discount Codes)
I will write about two eSIM providers that offer eSIMs for North Macedonia and eSIMs covering multiple countries (including North Macedonia, of course) and continents.
These eSIM providers are Airalo and Alosim.
Airalo, the largest eSIM store, has two eSIMs covering North Macedonia:
- Airalo Matka Mobile eSIMs for North Macedonia: four eSIMs between 1 GB (seven days @ 7.50 USD) and 5 GB (30 days @ 29 USD)
- Airalo Discover(+) eSIMs for North Macedonia and 129 other countries: 12 eSIMs between 1 GB (seven days @ 9 USD/15 USD (+10 minutes/10 SMS)) and 20 GB (1 year @ 69 USD/89 USD (+200 minutes/200 SMS))
Use code DEC15 for 15% off if you have never purchased an Airalo eSIM before OR code DEC10 for 10% off if you are an existing Airalo user (valid until the 31st of October – only the first 3000 users can redeem either discount code).
Alosim, a rapidly growing eSIM store with competitively priced eSIMs, has one eSIMs covering North Macedonia:
- Alosim North Macedonia eSIMs: five eSIMs between 1 GB (seven days @ 7.50 USD) and 10 GB (30 days @ 55 USD)
You can use code PTW for 5% off any Alosim purchase (as many times as you wish for as many eSIMs as you want).
Now that you have an overview of the eSIM providers I will write about, we will go through them alphabetically and cover all their options for North Macedonia.
Airalo eSIMs for North Macedonia (Matka Mobile and Discover+)
Currently, Airalo has two types of eSIMs that can be used in North Macedonia only or include North Macedonia:
- Matka Mobile – North Macedonia only
- Discover(+) – North Macedonia and 129 other countries worldwide (+calls and SMS (up to 200 minutes/SMS) for global use if you choose the “+” variant, regardless of the selected eSIM)
Remember to use code DEC15 for 15% off if you have never purchased an Airalo eSIM before OR code DEC10 for 10% off if you are an existing Airalo user (valid until the 31st of October – only the first 3000 users can redeem either discount code).
Okay… what is Airalo?
It is, according to itself, the world's first eSIM.
Airalo sells eSIMs for almost every country and territory, making it by far the most comprehensive eSIM provider.
It says it covers over 200 countries, although some are “duplicates” (such as a specific eSIM for Scotland (Nessietel), even though the United Kingdom eSIM (Uki Mobile) can be used in Scotland without any issues).
Airalo was the first eSIM I ever installed on my dad's phone (I did not have an eSIM-compatible device back then, lmao – now I have multiple for eSIM testing purposes 🤪).
It worked flawlessly, which is why I still try out Airalo eSIMs in every country I visit.
Anyway, because North Macedonia is a popular travel destination, the country is covered by global eSIM (Discover(+)) as well, giving you plenty of options to choose from.
If you only plan to see North Macedonia, stick to its local offering: Matka Mobile – which can be used in the country only.
Then we have the true globetrotters, who visit multiple countries on any continent numerous times a year.
Let's start with the Airalo Matka Mobile eSIM, which is for local (North Macedonia) use only.
You have these four Matka Mobile eSIM choices:
- North Macedonia/Matka Mobile 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 7.50 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- North Macedonia/Matka Mobile 2 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 14 USD
- North Macedonia/Matka Mobile 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 19 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- North Macedonia/Matka Mobile 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 29 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
Note: Phone Travel Wiz reader popularity ranking was updated in October based on data up to the 11th of October (2023 data only).
With the Airalo Matka Mobile eSIM, you get access to one North Macedonian mobile network, as shown in the image below:
In my North Macedonia SIM card buying guide, I tell you more about which North Macedonian mobile operator(s) is/are the best in terms of coverage or speed, but we have a few other eSIMs to go over with.
Its global offering used to be called Discover Global, to be used in 84 countries (87 was its peak).
I have had a decent to good experience with that eSIM, but I feel like it could improve.
Such as extending the validity of most plans (the maximum used to be 180 days) and having 5G NR access in popular destinations.
Well, my concerns were heard (which is why I love working with Airalo) because Airalo revamped its global eSIM to Discover(+), covering 130 countries (including North Macedonia), having 5G NR access in 30+ countries & giving you the option to purchase plans with minutes and SMS.
You get an Austrian (+43) phone number if you buy any Airalo Discover+ eSIM, so you do not have to deal with excessive international call rates with your primary/home SIM card or eSIM (this does not apply to the normal Discover eSIM).
Although Airalo improved its global eSIM significantly, it did not increase the prices for its eSIM.
In fact, you get a “discount” of up to 20 USD if you use the Discover eSIM (the one without a phone number, minutes, & texts).
Anyway, 12 variants of the Airalo Discover(+) eSIMs are available:
- Discover 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 9 USD
- Discover+ 1 GB (with 10 minutes and 10 SMS) eSIM for 7 days, costing 15 USD
- Discover 2 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 17 USD
- Discover+ 2 GB (with 20 minutes and 20 SMS) eSIM for 15 days, costing 27 USD
- Discover 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 24 USD
- Discover+ 3 GB (with 30 minutes and 30 SMS) eSIM for 30 days, costing 36 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Discover 5 GB eSIM for 60 days, costing 35 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Discover+ 5 GB (with 50 minutes and 50 SMS) eSIM for 60 days, costing 50 USD
- Discover 10 GB eSIM for 180 days, costing 59 USD
- Discover+ 10 GB (with 100 minutes and 100 SMS) eSIM for 180 days, costing 79 USD
- Discover 20 GB eSIM for 365 days, costing 69 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- Discover+ 20 GB (with 200 minutes and 200 SMS) eSIM for 365 days, costing 89 USD
Note: Phone Travel Wiz reader popularity ranking was updated in October based on data up to the 11th of October (2023 data only).
The image below shows you the North Macedonian mobile network that can be used with the Airalo Discover(+) eSIMs.
For a full country list of where the eSIM can be used, you should check out my ongoing Airalo Discover+ eSIM review.
Although the map below may be useful if you know your world map well.
In every country I visit where I test country-specific Airalo eSIMs, I also try out its Discover+ eSIM (if it can be used there).
So you better check it out every now and then to see if I wrote about the country/countries you plan to visit and read about the eSIM's performance in said country, as it is not always perfect.
Before Airalo updated its global eSIM, I used the old version (Discover Global) in 15+ countries. From August 2023, I will only test the Discover+ eSIM. This is why some country-specific reviews (like Japan) still refer to Discover Global and show the old eSIM image instead of Discover+.
So to recap: get the Matka Mobile eSIM if you only stay in North Macedonia or the Discover(+) eSIM if you visit multiple countries on multiple continents within a year and do not wish to install multiple eSIMs.
Whatever Airalo eSIM you choose, you will have a smooth experience with any in North Macedonia.
Alosim eSIMs for North Macedonia
Currently, Alosim has only one type of eSIM that can be used in North Macedonia only:
- North Macedonia – local use only
Remember that you can use code PTW for 5% off any Alosim purchase (as many times as you wish for as many eSIMs as you want).
Alosim? Does it have something to do with Airalo?
No… but I understand the confusion at times. The names are similar, but Alosim started after Airalo.
Alosim is an eSIM provider by AffinityClick, which is known for its Hushed app (“Temporary & Second Phone Number App for Wifi, Data Calling & Texting”, as it calls it (8 million+ downloads)).
As AffinityClick owns Alosim and Hushed, there may or may not be some collaboration between the two brands soon, (finally) allowing for calling and texting with your Alosim eSIMs… but we will have to see 😏.
Anyway, you have only one eSIM option for North Macedonia with Alosim: one for just North Macedonia.
The Alosim North Macedonia eSIM does not need a real introduction, I believe…
You have the following five Alosim North Macedonia eSIM choices:
- North Macedonia 1 GB eSIM for 7 days, costing 7.50 USD – most popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- North Macedonia 2 GB eSIM for 15 days, costing 14 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- North Macedonia 3 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 19 USD
- North Macedonia 5 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 29 USD – very popular with Phone Travel Wiz readers
- North Macedonia 10 GB eSIM for 30 days, costing 55 USD
Note: Phone Travel Wiz reader popularity ranking was updated in September based on data up to the 7th of September (2023 data only).
With this eSIM, you have access to the following North Macedonian mobile network:
For more information on how these mobile operators perform, check out my North Macedonia SIM card buying guide, where I discuss the performance of each SIM card (in terms of coverage and speed).
Overview of the Best eSIMs for North Macedonia
So, we reviewed some eSIMs that can be used in North Macedonia.
Many, many more eSIM providers have eSIMs for North Macedonia – the ones listed in this guide are the eSIMs I have used in multiple countries on multiple continents and had a pleasant experience with (I do not recommend eSIMs I have not tried/were awful).
I will give you a quick recap of each eSIMs mentioned in this guide and link to their product pages in case you need more info or are ready to purchase an eSIM already (remember the activation policies of Holafly and Nomad eSIMs – do not buy their eSIMs too early).
North Macedonia only eSIMs:
Global eSIMs, which include North Macedonia:
- Airalo Discover(+) eSIM (with calling feature)
And do not forget to use one of these discount codes for extra savings:
- Airalo: DEC15 for 15% off if you have never purchased an Airalo eSIM. If you have, use DEC10 for 10% off (each code can be used 3000 times among all Airalo customers, so better redeem it quickly!
- Alosim: PTW for 5% off (the code can be used by anyone, including existing customers, as many times as you wish – no redemption limit)
- Holafly: PHONETRAVELWIZ for 5% off (the code can be used by anyone, including existing customers, as many times as you wish – no redemption limit)
- Nomad: ADU123 for 3 USD (or your currency's equivalent) if you have never purchased a Nomad eSIM
Buying a SIM Card in North Macedonia
Want to just use a SIM card but not your current one because roaming will be criminally expensive?
Consider getting a North Macedonian SIM card instead – local SIM cards are the cheapest way to stay connected abroad.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate & review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful).
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience?
Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises & accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services & products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Get updates related to the newest guides, videos & recommended products and services.
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on saving money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone?
A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!