Malawi is a landlocked country in southeast Africa. The country does, however, have Lake Malawi, Lake Malombe, and Lake Chilwa.
Lilongwe, the capital of Malawi, has the Lilongwe Wildfire Center and the parliament. Lake Malawi is a nature reserve. Liwonde has the Liwonde National Park. Blantyre has the Museum of Malawi and various parks. Malawi is an exciting destination.
What is not exciting is dealing with an expensive roaming bill you get from roaming with your provider in Malawi. Roaming can be expensive in many cases, which is why many travelers prefer to buy local SIM cards, including Malawian ones.
In this article, I will go over everything you need to know about buying a SIM card in Malawi. Let's go.
Telecom Providers in Malawi
Malawi has 5 telecom providers: Airtel Malawi, TNM, G-Mobile, Lacell, and G-Expresso. Only Airtel and TNM offer 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE services, while G-Mobile, Lacell, and G-Expresso only have 2G services (for calling and SMS only), which is why they will not be discussed in this article.
Best SIM Card Malawi
If you want to buy a SIM card in Malawi, I would recommend going with Airtel. Their coverage is a bit better than the one of TNM while also offering lower prices.
Coverage with both Airtel Malawi and TNM is decent but unreliable. Both operators have implemented strategies to improve their services, so things are becoming better by the day.
Like many countries in (South)East Africa, and in Africa in general, you have to show your passport when buying a Malawian SIM card.
Although data prices are low or average if compared to other places around the world, Malawian data prices are average to high for African standards, especially for the local population. Depending on the package they choose, the locals can spend up to 50% of their monthly salary on mobile services alone, which is unsustainable. As a result, the telecommunication penetration rate is still less than 30%.
Those who do use mobile phones and data often have a SIM card from both Airtel Malawi and TNM because the operators charge high off-net fees, which are the fees you pay for calling or texting a TNM number while being an Airtel Malawi customer or vice versa.
With that being said, let’s see what Airtel Malawi and TNM have to offer to us.
Airtel Malawi, just Airtel, is the largest operator in Malawi with a market share of more than 50%. Their coverage is decent but unreliable and spotty in many places.
You can buy an Airtel SIM card in Airtel stores and on the streets for 500 MWK ($0.70). However, as you need to register yourself when purchasing a Malawian SIM card, you would be better off buying your SIM card at Airtel stores. Top-up vouchers are sold from 50 MWK to 5000 MWK. Dial *304# to check your data balance.
Airtel has many data packs, which they refer to as PaNet Volume Bundles. They are grouped into daily, weekly, and monthly bundles.
The following Airtel PaNet Volume Daily bundles are available:
- 100 MWK: 15 MB. Activation: dial *301*100#
- 150 MWK: 30 MB. Activation: dial *301*101#
- 500 MWK: 175 MB. Activation: dial *301*128#
These Airtel PaNet Volume Weekly bundles can be bought:
- 300 MWK: 50 MB. Activation: dial *301*110#
- 600 MWK: 150 MB. Activation: dial *301*130#
- 1000 MWK: 300 MB. Activation: dial *301*131#
- 1800 MWK: 1 GB. Activation: dial *301*111#
Finally, you can get one of these Airtel PaNet Volume Monthly bundles:
- 3500 MWK: 1.2 GB. Activation: dial *301*120#
- 5000 MWK: 2 GB. Activation: dial *301*121#
- 7000 MWK: 3.5 GB. Activation: dial *301*132#
- 10 500 MWK: 6 GB. Activation: dial *301*123#
- 15 500 MWK: 10 GB. Activation: dial *301*124#
- 19 000 MWK: 15 GB. Activation: dial *301*125#
- 40 000 MWK: 40 GB. Activation: dial *301*126#
Only interested in staying connected with your friends and family through messaging apps? You can get an Airtel PaNet Social Combo Bundles, which give you data for WhatsApp, Twitter, and Facebook:
- 150 MWK: 50 MB for 1 day
- 350 MWK: 350 MB for 7 days
- 1200 MWK: 1 GB for 30 days
Just need data for individual messaging apps? Then these Airtel PaNet Social Bundles may be interesting.
Here are the 4 Airtel PaNet WhatsApp Social Bundles:
- 1200 MWK: 20 MB for 1 day
- 1200 MWK: 90 MB for 7 days
- 1200 MWK: 400 MB for 30 days
- 1200 MWK: 800 MB for 30 days
You can get these Airtel PaNet Facebook Social Bundles:
- 110 MWK: 30 MB for 1 day
- 230 MWK: 90 MB for 7 days
- 1200 MWK: 800 MB for 30 days
Twitter users can get these Airtel PaNet Twitter Social Bundles:
- 100 MWK: 30 MB for 1 day
- 1250 MWK: 90 MB for 7 days
- 1250 MWK: 800 MB for 30 days
Night owls can take advantage of PaNet Night Chilaz, although it is unclear from when to when you can use these bundles:
- 120 MWK: 75 MB for 1 night
- 250 MWK: 200 MB for 7 nights
- 1100 MWK: 1 GB for 30 nights
TNM, standing for Telekom Networks Malawi, was the first operator to offer 3G services in Malawi. Their coverage is as extensive and unreliable as Airtel, but they are more expensive than Airtel.
You can buy a TNM SIM card for 500 MWK in TNM stores and on the streets. Like with Airtel, I would recommend buying your SIM card at a TNM store because of the registration requirement. The TNM starter pack comes with 5 MB, 5 minutes, and 5 SMS.
TNM top-up vouchers are sold in many stores across the country. To top up your phone, you have to dial *111*VoucherCode#. For example, if your voucher code is 123456, you would dial *111*123456#. To check your TNM balance, dial #123#.
TNM has several Smart Surf bundles, which are their data packs. They have daily, weekly (and one for 15 days), and monthly bundles.
The following TNM daily bundles are available:
- 100 MWK: 15 MB. Activation: dial *200*7#
- 150 MWK: 30 MB. Activation: dial *200*9#
- 1000 MWK: 1 GB. Activation: dial *200*5#
You can also get one of these TNM weekly bundles:
- 680 MWK: 100 MB (for 15 days). Activation: dial *200*10#
- 1200 MWK: 140 MB. Activation: dial *200*44#
- 2500 MWK: 1 GB. Activation: dial *200*55#
Staying (almost) a month in Malawi or just want a lot of data? Then these monthly TNM plans will be interesting:
- 3000 MWK: 600 MB. Activation: dial *200*444#
- 4800 MWK: 1 GB. Activation: dial *200*12#
- 7000 MWK: 2 GB. Activation: dial *200*13#
- 10 500 MWK: 4 GB. Activation: dial *200*14#
- 23 000 MWK: 10 GB. Activation: dial *200*16#
- 40 000 MWK: 20 GB. Activation: dial *200*17#
You can also get TNM social media bundles for Facebook or WhatsApp:
- 70 MWK: 30 MB for WhatsApp for 1 day. Activation: dial *200*3#
- 110 MWK: 50 MB for Facebook for 1 day. Activation: dial *200*2#
- 230 MWK: 120 MB for Facebook for 7 days. Activation: dial *200*22#
- 230 MWK: 120 MB for WhatsApp for 7 days. Activation: dial *200*33#
- 560 MWK: 500 MB for WhatsApp for 30 days. Activation: dial *200*333#
- 1200 MWK 1 GB for Facebook for 20 days. Activation: dial *200*222#
Other Ways to Stay Connected When Traveling in Malawi
The Preferred Way to Stay Connected When Traveling in Malawi
Getting a SIM card from Airtel would do you well when considering a Malawian SIM card.
Local Prepaid SIM Card in Other African Countries
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate, and review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Your support helps me keep producing impartial content by eliminating the need to recommend international SIM cards as the best local SIM card (but some of them CAN be useful)
Every Ko-Fi donation, one-time or monthly, helps me to spend more time creating local SIM card buying guides.
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience? Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises, and accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services, and products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Sign up for my newsletter: Get an excel sheet of the best SIM cards of over 230+ destinations around the world!
Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on how to save money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone? A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!