Table of Contents
Mobile Operators, Networks & Frequencies in Martinique
Martinique has 3 telecom providers:
- Orange Caraïbe
- SFR Caraïbe
- Digicel Caraïbe
All operators have 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE networks.
Martinique also has 1 Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO):
- La Poste Caraïbes Mobile
La Poste Caraïbes Mobile uses the Orange Caraïbe network.
Which of these Martinican operators have the best prepaid SIM card and prepaid offering?
Best SIM Card Martinique
If you want to buy a SIM card in Martinique, then SFR has the best prepaid offering. Their coverage is almost as good as Orange, which has the best coverage, but SFR is much cheaper than Orange.
However, if you want to take advantage of the Orange quality but not pay full Orange process, consider La Poste Caraïbes Mobile, which uses the Orange network and offers combo packages with much more data than Orange offers.
SIM Card Registration Martinique
Unlike most countries in the Caribbean, you do not have to show your passport when buying a Martinique SIM card.
EU Roaming in Martinique
Mainland France is part of the European Union (EU). As of June 2017, a new regulation has been enforced, which is known as roam like at home, meaning that those with a European Union (or EEA) SIM card should be allowed to use (some) of their data allowance in other EU/EEA countries without a surcharge.
As French Overseas Departments are considered to be part of France, the roam at like home rules apply in Martinique, meaning that those from the EU/EEA can use their SIM cards in Martinique without a surcharge, and you can use your Martinican SIM card in the EU/EEA as well.
However, make sure your operator has included Martinique (sometimes referred to as French West Indies or French Antilles) in their roam like home destination page, as they sometimes “forget” to do so, which could result in high roaming charges.
Orange Martinique, just Orange and also known as Orange Caraïbe, is the largest operator in Martinique. They have the best network on the island, but they are also the most expensive option.
Orange has 3 types of prepaid SIM cards: Card Classique, Card Plan, and Card Seconde. All these SIM cards cost €15 and can be purchased in Orange stores. If you plan on buying a data package, then it does not matter which SIM card you choose. The differences between the SIM cards are the default rates for data, minutes, and SMS.
Orange offers combo packs (Les recharges Max, Les recharges Classiques & forfait mobile sans engagement) and data packs (La recharge Internet & Internet Everywhere). They are listed below
- €5: 25 MB and €5 in credit for calls and SMS for 6 days
- €5: 5 GB for 20 days
- €10: 50 MB, 10 SMS, and €10 in credit for calls and SMS for 15 days
- €15: 100 MB and unlimited minutes and SMS for 7 days
- €19: 1 GB for 30 days
- €20: 200 MB and unlimited minutes and SMS for 10 days
- €20: 200 MB, 20 SMS, and €20 in credit for calls and SMS for 45 days
- €30: 300 MB, 30 SMS, and €30 in credit for calls and SMS for 50 days
- €50: 500 MB, 50 SMS, and €50 in credit for calls and SMS for 90 days
- €54: 50 GB and unlimited calls and SMS for 30 days
- €69: 100 GB and unlimited calls and SMS for 30 days
- €100: 1 GB, 100 SMS, and €100 in credit for calls and SMS for 180 days
All Orange plans can be activated by dialing #124#, online, or on the Orange app
SFR Martinique, just SFR and also known as SFR Caraïbe, is the second-largest operator in Martinique. They are cheaper than Orange, and their coverage is (almost) as good as the one of Orange.
SFR SIM cards, called SFR La Carte, are sold for €15 in SFR stores. They come with €10 in credit and another €10 after your first top-up. Top-up vouchers are sold in denominations of €5, €10, €20, and €40 in SFR stores, supermarkets, and post offices.
SFR has 4 combo plans and 2 data-only plans, which are all valid for 30 days:
- €9.99: 3 GB, 2 hours of call time in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, and Europe, and unlimited SMS in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, and Europe, and unlimited SMS in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, and Europe
- €14.99: 1 GB
- €14.99: 5 GB, 4 hours of call time in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, and Europe, and unlimited SMS in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, and Europe
- €24.99: 10 GB
- €24.99: 40 GB, unlimited call time in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, Europe, and select international destinations, and unlimited SMS in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, and Europe
- €29.99: 60 GB, unlimited call time in Europe, in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, Europe, and select international destinations, and unlimited SMS in Martinique, to mainland France, France Overseas Departments, and Europe
* Europe: Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, St Pierre and Miquelon, Sweden, United Kingdom
* International destinations – landline only: Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Macao, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Panama, Peru, Russia, South Africa, Taiwan, and Vietnam
* International destinations – mobile and landline: Canada, China, Colombia, Hawaii, Hong Kong, India, Kenya, Laos, Nigeria, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Turkey, United States, Uruguay, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Venezuela
Digicel Martinique, just Digicel, is the smallest operator in Martinique. They have the worst coverage, but they are the cheapest option in Martinique.
You can get a Digicel SIM card for €15 in Digicel stores. It comes with 100 MB, 20 SMS, and €5 in credit for 10 days. Top-up €10 and you get a €10 credit bonus.
Digicel has 6 data-only packs:
- €3: 100 MB for 5 days
- €5: 250 MB for 10 days
- €10: 500 MB for 30 days
- €15: 1 GB for 30 days
- €20: 15 GB for 30 days
- €40: 40 GB for 30 days
These packages can be activated by dialing *123# or on the MyDigicel App.
La Post Caraïbes Mobile
La Poste Caraïbes Mobile, mainly known as Poste Mobile, is the only MVNO in Martinique, and they use the Orange network.
Poste Mobile SIM cards are sold for €10 in post offices and a few other stores, and they come with €5 in credit to be used within 15 days.
There is a registration process that you have to be aware of if using a Poste Mobile SIM card. Make sure to call 555 within 24 hours after using your Poste Mobile SIM card. Otherwise, your line will be deactivated. You also have to send them the activation form and a copy of your passport within 15 days. Else, they will deactivate your line.
As a reward for going through all the hassle, La Poste will give you €10 in credit once they have processed your form.
Post Mobile has 3 monthly combo plans:
- €14.99: 1 GB, 2 hours of call time, and unlimited SMS
- €24.99: 3 GB, 3 hours of call time, and unlimited SMS
- €34.99: 15 GB and unlimited calls and SMS
Other Ways to Stay Connected When Traveling in Martinique
I would highly encourage anyone visiting Martinique to get themselves a Martiniquan SIM card – you will be saving a lot of money when you do so.
However, for some, getting a Martiniquan SIM card is not an option. For example, your device may be SIM-locked, meaning that you cannot use any SIM card other than the SIM card provided by your operator.
There are other ways to stay online while in Martinique, but they may not be cheap.
However, these methods may be more expensive than getting a SIM card from the two local operators.
International roaming is the most convenient way to stay connected when traveling in other countries because you do not have to buy a new SIM card, have to deal with SIM card registration regulations, nor have multiple phone numbers to deal with.
However, international roaming has proven to be expensive in many cases, especially compared to buying local SIM cards. That is why many travelers are not fond of international roaming.
International roaming has its pros and cons. However, it is important to know how it works. This in-depth guide explains it all.
Find out whether your mobile operator has attractive roaming rates for Martinique here.
Using an International SIM Card or Travel SIM Card
International SIM cards are SIM cards made for the traveler in mind. Using them is often cheaper than international roaming. However, they are almost always more expensive than using a local SIM card.
There are many other advantages and disadvantages of getting international SIM cards, which you can learn about here.
Mobile hotspots, or pocket WIFI, are small devices that connect to the local operators of the country you are visiting. Mobile hotspots are ideal for families or those traveling in a large group, as they allow you to connect multiple devices to one hotspot without the need of each traveler having to buy a SIM card.
Using Free WIFI Networks
Using free WIFI connections is the cheapest way to stay connected because they are free. The major downside of trying to use WIFI hotspots is that you will have to locate them, and they are not available on every corner in Martinique.
Make sure to protect your internet traffic with a VPN so that hackers cannot steal your personal data.
The Preferred Way to Stay Connected When Traveling in Martinique
Getting a SIM card from SFR would be your only when considering a Martinican SIM card.
Local Prepaid SIM Cards in Other Caribbean Countries
Going to other places around the world? Then you should also check out my sim card buying guides for other destinations around the world.
Next Steps to Enhance Your Travel Experiences
Looking for the next steps to enhance your phone travel experiences? Here is what to do:
Support Phone Travel Wiz
It takes a lot of time to analyze, translate, and review the SIM card options worldwide (especially to test them out).
Check Out My Resource Page
Looking for the best companies and gadgets to enhance your travel experience? Check out my travel resources page for the best companies to use when you travel!
Save money with international SIM cards, on plane tickets, bus rides, cruises, and accommodation.
Besides that, I also list services and items I use to make my life easier – and I believe they will help you too!
Start Your Own Online Business – Make Money While Traveling
Do you want to learn how I started an online business that allows me to generate income while traveling?
In my starting an online business guide, I tell you which tools, services, and products I have for this site and my YouTube channel.
If I can start a business about something I am passionate about (phone travel), then you can do it too!
Learn About Your Phone Travel Options
Each of these options has its pros and cons. Learn more about them, and find the best option for you.
Phone Travel Tips, Tricks & Hacks
I have written many articles with tips and hacks to save money on mobile costs while abroad. You surely want to check them out!
Sign Up for the Phone Travel Wiz Newsletter
Sign up for my newsletter: Get an excel sheet of the best SIM cards of over 230+ destinations around the world! Moreover, I send you many tips and tricks on how to save money while traveling every now and then.
Let's Be Social
Did you know that I have a YouTube channel covering everything you need to know about traveling with your phone? A lot of useful videos are uploaded multiple times a week, and you do not want to miss out on them!
Learn More About Who Adu Actually Is
Who is the guy behind Phone Travel Wiz? Well, find out on the Ernest Adu about page!